Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 95 19:24:55 EST
From:         John Anderson <ja@coe.wvu.edu>
Subject:      Recirculating heat in '74-'79 camper

YEP,

did this 2 weeks ago in the '78 though I did not eliminate the control box as mine is OK, merely plugeed it off. On the westy the rear duct is under the back seat perfectly located to suck the cold air from back low back though for reheating. I detailed similar conversions on the list before in the '76 but had not thought at the time to use existing heat duct as the port though which to get the air. I cut a 3" hole in the engine tin to bring the pipr through, used aluminized heater tube from Automotion. This is the best thing yet I've done with no noticeable interior holes like I had done before. Here is an even better idea I though of later and did not implement that involves cutting no holes. Disconect the heat to one side of the Y shaped piece above the axle and block off the Y or if you Y is shot eliminate it straight piping it from one heat exchanger through flew down to the big center tube. now attach a flew from rearmost vent to the output side of the disconnected exchanger. Replace the current fan with an inline blower connecting the two engine compartment tubes and run the air sucked in BACKWARDS though one heat exchanger into the other then into the car. I'm willing to bet that you will experince better heat even though the flow might be less but using one of those high CFM inline booster fans from Whitless I'm betting on more heat. The true glory this works if your Y is messed up, if the front box is messed up you can eliminate like he said, hell al you need are 2 good boxes. No cutting or anything, all can be returned to stock. 1 problem remeber the cooling fan supplies some of the air into the exchanger so the rectangular duct from it will need to be blocked on the one you run backwards, simply stuff some foam in it or something. And less people worry that our leaky bays won't allow in enough fresh air to since wer're recirculating, fresh air is still admitted from the cooling fan duct to the remaining forward running exchanger. This whole thing is only as much as the blower fan and tube cost, and I'll lay odds it will be great, plus no need to cut the body, firewall, tin or anything.

Think about it bay owners youll get my idea.

John ja@coe.wvu.edu