Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Dec 1995 21:18:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:         Jack Reed <jackr@fortnet.org>
Subject:      Re: bus-buying checklist?

On Sun, 10 Dec 1995, Crazed Idiot wrote:

> Hey all, > I don't know if this has been tried before (I didn't see one on > the ftp site) but how about if the most experienced listmembers > got together and created a checklist of things to go over when > looking at a bus. I know something like this would be really > handy to me when I get around to buying one. This checklist > could include problem areas, how to identify whether or not to > buy the bus, what kinds of problems should you say no to, > things like that. This could be a supplement to the Old Bus > Recovery Squad (local 201 ;) ) or could be for those folks who > don't live near any OBRS members. I couldn't be of much help in > designing this list as I don't own a bus but I think it would be > very helpful. This list could then be posted on the ftp site so > that those who need it can download it and print it out to take > with them. Ideas? Feedback?

This would probably work best as a comprehensive list with shorter lists embedded within it. For example, curbside checks with hostile owner breathing down your neck, with mellow owner watching from the porch and within the confines of your garage.

To expand even more: ... (C) Windshield cracked? (M) Oil Leaks? How many? From where? (G) Compression check (psi) #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 ...

where "C"=creep or cursory, depending on whether the creep asks you what the "C" means, "M"=mellow or more comprehensive and "G"=garage or global checks. Of course you'd just try and get away with whatever checks you could run at the time, but such a checklist would be useful for newbies and experienced buyers as well.

Jack