Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Dec 1995 12:49:31 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      GEX is on my sh*t list

The other day I got around to installing the spark plugs in my rebuilt GEX heads. The first one I install feels real loose as it is going in, but tightens up okay. The second one goes in about half a turn and gets tight. Real tight. Looking at the threads I see they are in sorry shape. Don't know why I didn't notice it when I bought them. I break out the trusty thread-chaser graciously loaned to my by Dave Kautz (thanks Dave!) and run it in a ways. Meets some resistance, but after that the spark plug screws in easily. At least a little ways. The thread chaser can only go in about half way because the opening for the spark plug hole is recessed, and the chaser is too wide to fit. So I just used it to its capability, and threaded the spark plug in slowly using grease on the threads, backing it off every few turns. It's still kind of tight when it's almost all the way in. I'm worried that if I use it this way, it will strip the first time I try to remove the plug. I'm not too happy with GEX, but I'm not going to try and exchange the head at this point. I'm just going to use some anti-sieze on the plug and hope for the best. More to come...

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (14.17@99.34) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================