Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Dec 1995 18:02:48 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Little Martha running, but not driving yet (long)

Thanks for all the good wishes and particularly to my beloved brother Ian, who did a lot more than half the work, and Bradley, the Kautzes and the Rubins for making the party afterwards!! We took care of a pick-up-truck-full :) of problems, starting at 8:00am on Saturday and 9:15am on Sunday, working until dark.

The engine is in and runs! I've forgotten how to start a carburetted car, so I cranked about 60 seconds over a 5 minute period without luck, then Ian got it to cough and then run! Starts easy, runs strong. I'm VERY pleased. So far I'm pretty happy with the ECI engine.

Problems solved: * Paint rear apron. Let Rustolem cans soak in hot tap water first. Works great. * Heater flap lever broken off. Fabricated replacement, Midas welded it. (I donated the four cans of canned food remaing in my kitchen to their annual relief drive. This is a good time to ask for favors :) ) * Attach air-cleaner support. Grade 8 1/4-20 bolts & fender washers, avoiding the main chassis beam. Two bolts on the outside of it, two on the inside and one through the inner fender. Split-ring lock washers. Remind me to under-coat those... Of COURSE Grade 8 are overkill ;) * ECI supplied wrong (early) tin ahead (fif) of crank pulley. Replaced. We avoided this opportunity to put on a custom degree pulley. Pure stock. I sure hope the one notch in it is really TDC. * No foam seal on dog-house air-duct. Buy weatherstip, install. * Entire elecrical system dead. Connect third ring lug :) * DPO installed powerbooster and speakers blocking access to fuse pannel. Junked * No turn signals/flashers. Turn signal switch ok, replace blown fuse, works. * No brake lights, replace bulb (L), fix broken wire (R). * Right headlamp has no low beam. DVM shows 8.8 v at connector. but also shows the bulb is good... Buy new bulb and just to make sure, touch surface of old T4 halogen lamp (That's a no-no- finger oils cause differential expansion, break bulb!) New bulb doesn't fix it. Must be a resistive connection... troubleshoot later... * battery it came with no good. Go to Sears. Computer recognizes Type II as a Truck, lists no available battery. Ian looks in the book and figures out its a Group 42. Dinky little battery, 750 CCA! Buy it, install it, all lights much brighter! * Shift coupler pointed-bolt hard to start. Next time, try it before installing! * Shift coupler roll-pin hard to hold while screwing in expander. Try 14MM socket, to fit stamped hex shoulders. Doesn't really work. Vice grips work. * Engine cranks, won't start. Smell of gas at tail pipe. Check, no spark! DVM says 12V at coil, turn it over by hand and watch the points open and close. Push coil-to-distributor hot wire home at both ends. Works. * Engine cranks, won't start. Non-carb-guy at throttle. Ian gives it a pump and then lightly pedals the accelerator over the first 1/2 of its range, starts up and runs like a champ.

Remaining details: Install: Axles Air Cleaner Muffler Charcoal canister & breather hoses Rear apron Rear bumper Driver's door lock License plate light New wires for right side rear side marker Under-nose pedal and control cover

Adjust: Accel cable Clutch cable Shifter?

Troubleshoot: Resistive right front head light wire dome (interior) light doesn't work Emergency Flashers doesn't work No instrument lights Inspection revealed a pair of red wires with a red spade lug just hanging around by the fuse box... we wimped out and didn't pull the fuse box to have a look... yet...

Work on some day: Ignition lock (no key lock- vehicle runs on a toggle switch & pushbutton...) Connect radio with some speakers Fix small holes in truck bed Replace engine cover with NOS part on hand. Replace rusty torn-up screws holding bed gates with new screws, one or more on each side secured so someone doesn't just walk off with the gates...

Minor mystery: I bought a left and right lever kit for my superbly restored heater flaps... how in the world do I connect them??? The lever kits have a barrel-nut connector on one end, and an open slot in the other end. I understand the barrel nut- that could connect to the heater control cable from the front console. But why not just connect the cable directly to the barrel nut connection on the heater flap???

After using up the barrel nut parts and the speed-nut that holds the lever to the heat exchanger, the only part left is a spring. Huh? Where does this spring connect to? How does all this connect to the heater flap arms?

We'll have to see: Shifter seems vauge even by my old 914's standards... I didn't try with the engine running, maybe it will make sense then. may have to troubleshoot when axles are installed :) I'm not looking for trouble so I presume it works until I am forced to say otherwise.

Soon, soon!

Put me down for XXL sleepers with size 13 booties, and Jean takes an XL with woman's size 10 booties :) The cats say they don't *want* any help sleeping!

Cheers all! Bill