Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Dec 1995 00:01:19 -0500
From:         mcleane@nando.net (Ed McLean)
Subject:      Re: no start

I also have had problems starting my '86 Vanagon recently. Although this is a rather long note and Berry Kercheval will recognize it as information I already sent him, I believe others will also find it interesting and maybe some might actually find it useful. Let the story begin:

On the first cool day this fall my Vanagon was having starting problems. Although the starter would turn the engine over at an OK speed, the thing would not start in the mornings. An inductive timing light indicated that the ignition system was working. I pulled the wires off of two of the fuel injectors and hit the starter. I figured if it was flooded, one side of the engine would clear and I could start it later; and if it was not flooded, the other side would start. It started. The dealer's mechanic suggested I make sure the FI grounds were clean and not corroded as the electrical load of 4 injectors might be too much for a poor ground while 2 injections would be OK. I cleaned them (2 terminals with 5 wires just under the ignition coil, a ground strap to left cylinder head also from under the ignition coil, the ground strap at the front of the transmission, and the battery ground strap) but the problem remained. Since the fuel injection system is powered through the wire connecting the alternator to the battery, I checked the voltage available to the fuel injection system at the alternator while the starter was turning. It was only 6.5 volts available!! The voltage at the battery posts was only 7.5 volts (indicating a reasonable 1 volt drop through the body). I attached jumper cables to the battery and tried to start it again (the other car was not running at this time) but voltage at the alternator was only about 9.5 volts and it wouldn't start. These are very poor jumper cables! I then got my wife to start the other car and rev the engine somewhat while I tried to start the VW. The voltage climbed and when the voltage measured at the alternator reached 10.75 volts, the engine started and ran smoothly immediately. Since my battery was near the end of it's 60 month warranty period, I purchased a new battery the next day (Diehard International Group 41, ~850 CCA. Although I had to trim off some of the hold down tabs on the end of the battery to get it to fit, it eventually slipped nicely into the battery box. (Note: A Group 42 battery is smaller and less powerful than a Group 41 battery. Get the biggest one that will fit CORRECTLY in your battery box.) Voltage at the alternator is now about 13.2 volts while cranking. I have had no problems since then with starting.

While this is only one experience with one car, I think it does illustrate the sensitivity of the electronic fuel injection system to low voltage. Even though the starter may continue to crank and the ignition system still spark, the fuel injection system may not have enough voltage to work properly and the engine won't start. If you are having starting problems, it might be worth while to check that voltage available to the FI system WHILE THE STARTER IS TURNING. I don't know what the minimum acceptable voltage can be but if it is much lower than 10.5 volts you can assume you have a problem. This probably can be checked just as well at the battery if the wires and connections are OK and you take into consideration the voltage drop through the body and long wires. If this indicates there is a problem, get the battery checked with a load test.

However, there may be a problem with this rational: The new battery may be providing enough voltage to allow the FI system to operate with a weak component that will not work at a lower votage. I'll just have to wait to find out about this but it's working now ...

I apologize for the detail and length of this letter but I thought it might be information someone could use.

Ed McLean / 1986 Westfalia

mcleane@nando.net