Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Dec 1995 09:19:33 -0600 (CST)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Dash lights rehab

I saw that Bill had no working dash lights so I thought I would pass along my experience with fixing mine. I spent too much time thinking about it and not enough time fixing it. It really was easy. Except for rounded and rusted bolts I have found most repairs on my bus to be quite easy. It was built to last longer than the payments so maintenance things are even easier to fix. This is for a '71 bus.

First off, suspect the headlight switch. Mine was fried. At least the 69b connection was. I think this is the number. Anyway, look in your Bentley. It is the one that controls those lights and allows you to turn them up or down. I installed a junkyard replacement only to find that it too had that connection fried. I then t'ed off of the park lights connection. :) So, my dashlights are full bright when the lights are on. Better than none until I can afford a new switch.

Next, to the bulbs. On mine there were two. They are at about 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock on the speedo dial. Both can be reached without tools. Even my big hands fit into there. Just come up from the left for one and up from the right for the other. If you are patient you can reach across from the left and get them both. The bulbs are in a socket that comes out with a quarter turn. One wire runs from the switch to the first bulb and then on to the second one. Simple. The bulb then pulls straight out of the socket. These are 1.2 watt bulbs. My FLAPS had one that fit, but was a little too tight. I tried the VW dealer and they had them. Strange. I bought four. Part of that fix anything anywhere thing I have going on. Also, the socket grounds to something in there when you are putting it back together. I cleaned up the connection with a blade but they still required some jiggling and futzing to get them to ground and light. Now, my dash is bright and easy to read. I hope this helps someone with the same problem. -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/