Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Dec 1995 09:23:14 -0600 (CST)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      F/ Bus sighting story

I just had to pass this little story along. Sunday I was running some errands in my '71 bus. Even with it's new and improved Weber powered 1600 it is little or no match for just about anything else on the road. One particular road is something of a bench mark for the motor. It has a hill that is not terribly steep but about two blocks long. If I don't time the light I have to take this hill from a standing start. The old motor would only do this hill in second, near the redline. The new one will pull it quite easily in third once I get the revs up in second. All of this is, of course, still much slower than your average econobox.

Sunday I started up this hill and was working through the gears. About half way up the hill I was readying for the lighting shift into third when I noticed a Mercedes in my mirror. Actually, I watch my mirror often. Defensive rear end driving. This guy in the MB had the Don Garlits factor going big time, neck flipping back and forth checking his mirrors for the first chance he has to get around this obstruction. He finally got over a lane about the time I got into third and really started to accelerate. I did manage to stay with him up the rest of the incline. In fact, he stayed a little behind and left of me. Several blocks later he was still behind me and I wanted the left lane. I gave it a little more gas, pushing me past the speed limit and took the left lane. I didn't think I had crowded him. He changed into the right lane. Oh well, I am used to this kind of behavior. We are all aware of this type of driver. They would sooner die than drive behind a big box on wheels.

Another mile or so down the road we both finally got stopped by the same light. Heather noticed that this guy in the MB was sitting next to us with a stupid grin on his face and his window down, strange behavior for 5 degree weather. She carefully rolled down the window expecting the worst. Then the guy yelled, "Hey, that's my old van!, etc." He couldn't believe it was still running... We exchanged all we could in the ten seconds we had. He seemed curious that I didn't look like the guy he sold it to. I yelled about buying it from a friend and so forth. Our ten seconds was over too quickly and I had to drive away. I didn't get a chance to tell him about the new motor, the plans to tour the world, all the blood sweat and tears. It did give me a very good feeling, though.

The bad part came later. About three blocks up the street. It dawned on me then. This was the guy with a box in his garage. Somewhere, high on a dusty shelf he had a box. Up high above where the MB now parks sits a box with several strange looking pieces of metal. These are pieces of engine tin, oil cooler parts, etc. These are the pieces that I wrenched and tore from junkyards and mail order places for about six weeks this summer, looking to make a fully operating cooling system in stock form for a '71 bus. This was the man whose existance I loathed for the better part of six weeks, sitting alone in a sweaty pool covered with grease. I had nothing more than a few inadequate pictures and a couple of computer printouts to figure out what was missing from my motor. If I could have gotten my hands around the neck of this guy sometime in the middle of August our encounter would have been much less friendly. Yes, it is still running buddy, little thanks to you. You gave up on it once. Lucky for you I didn't get your plate number... -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/