Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Dec 1995 13:45:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      RE: J. C. Whitney error

>The $4.95 outer front wheel bearings were priced at $49.95 -- $99.90 for the >pair. > >JCW's customer service lady had no explanation for the error but she was very >nice about setting things right. Still... kinda scary. Given JCW's history >of bankrupcy and financial woes, and knowing a little error like this can >provide a nice boost to their cash flow, however temporary, I wonder if >anyone else has experienced a similar decimal shift?

Not I. I've dealt with Whitney for many years, and have never encountered this sort of problem, nor practically any problem.

My worst gripe about them, is that their packing varies from lousy to nonexistent. A few crumpled pieces of newspaper rattling around with the stuff I ordered, does not contribute to cushioning IMHO. But since most auto parts seem pretty rugged, I guess this doesn't make much difference in the long run. I've gotten very few things (can't think of any off the top of my head) that arrived broken.

Favorite Whitney stunt, is when they backorder or factory-ship something. They send you a notice saying so, which arrives maybe two weeks after you mail in your order. Often the item being backordered, has already arrived!

Once I ordered a 300W 4-ch amplifier for them. The one that arrived, said 225W 4-ch on it. Means I can only blow out one eardrum at a time, I guess, instead of both simultaneously. A few years later, I bought another. Same 225W amp arrived. What the hell, they're very cheap, and they work well.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon '71 VW Transporter FS