Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Dec 1995 16:52:32 -0700
From:         "Richard A. Jones" <jones@bakmes.colorado.edu>
Subject:      '81 VW rebuild report

Prior situation: '81 with 103,000 miles. No work on engine other than pushrod tube seals on each side at different times. Starting about 90,000 miles, I noticed a loss of power, increased use of oil. It did pass emissions a year ago, but the oil consumption kept increasing. Leakdown showed the rings were worn. Recently there was the beginning show of smoke when shifting after hard acceleration....

I asked on the net (September) and got some good/bad responses on VW rebuilds. My mechanics favor VW over other (GEX, et al) based on past experience. Plus the VW comes with a flywheel. So we ordered a rebuilt long blockfor my '81. It took about a month to come....

It went in, started on the first turn and ran fine. After coming up to temperature, the oil/filter was changed. One valve cover gasket leaked so was changed. Now I have about a thousand miles on it, it has settled down and runs great. No leaks, no problems. I plan on another oil/filter change soon and will declare the break-in complete.

BTW--mechanic said it came with NEW heads--evidently VW in Canada didn't have any to rebuild when this motor was put together. Other items wearing out at the same time: clutch, motor mounts, pilot and throwout bearings. So the whole package had pretty closely match life expectancies. :-)

So I got 103,000 miles with only pushrod tube seals, a new exhaust system, two clutch slave cylinders, and some front bushing work. All of this at elevations above 5,000'--up to 10,000'. I think I'm not allowed to complain. ;-) All I want is 100,000 miles and 14 years from the new motor and I'll stay a happy camper!

Richard A. Jones Computing & Network Services University of Colorado at Boulder (303) 492-3865 - fax (303) 492-0824 [http://bakmes.colorado.edu/~jones/] <jones@colorado.edu>