Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 1995 13:21:23 -0500
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Deep Water Driving/Snow Depth

>parallel to us and there was a crossroad that connected the two >roads together. It was about 100 yards long and covered in >2 1/2 - 3 feet of fluffy snow. I immediately thought of Derek >Drew!!

Well, even though I haven't had time to write in lately with any reports I just got the pictures back from my latest 4 wheeling trip to Vermont.

The coolest picture shows the van driving across a, um, I guess you'd call it a lake that was in the way of the road/path. My fogg lamps are in the body of the vehicle at the same height as the turn signal lenzes. As I drove through this lake the fogg lamps went dark because they were under water.

The van drove right through with no problem. Obviously, as least part of the motor was under water, though obviously not the distributor, or I would have stalled. Anyway, ever since driving through this thing the van no longer idles so perfectly as it has before and sometimes stalls when bone cold on a cold day after starting it. I even have to hit the pedal some times to get it to start.

I have come to the conclusion that it is almost impossible to stop a synco due to excess snow depth, especially when the tires are aired down below 18 psi. During this trip the snow was wet and built up in front of the bumper in a vee shape, sort of like a cow catcher in front of a train.

I remember once sleeping out all night in a snow storm in the woods in Vermont. About 6 am the sun came up and my friend called up to me in the upper berth, "Derek, its snowing *really hard!* As there was already 2 feet of snow depth the night before this got me worried and I got out of bed right away. A plowed road was about 4 miles away. I tried to open the sliding door and snow kept it from opening. I forced it and snow fell *in* the vehicle.

Uh oh!

I pulled the diff lock on and the van would not move.

I got out of the van with a shovel and cleared an area around the van and tried again. This time the van could move so I shoved some more and cleared a "runway" of sorts so I could get the van up to around 10 miles an hour and see if momentum would carry me through the fresh stuff. Sure enough, the momentum worked and the van did not stop when I hit the realy deep stuff. I drove the 4 miles at 4,000 rpm with the diff lock on, 14 psi, scared to death. Several times the van would slow when it hit a drift but it did not stop until we crashed over the snowplow wall and came plunking down on the plowed, dirt road.

I never want to open the sliding door and have snow fall in on me again, uh, I think.

Derek Drew 90 Syncro Camper/Mariner/Snowmo

___________________________________ Derek Drew drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup address, checked infrequently)