Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 1995 13:22:15 -0500
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Oettinger & 2.5 litre Vanagon Motors

Tom,

Before talking about Oettinger, did you see that post from Brian in the Netherlands? He had a company called Bernard Ahnendorp Sport selling high quality parts right now to convert 2.1 litre motors to 2.5. This may be a better way to go if Oettinger is indeed on the way out.

write to verbeek@the-hague.stbv.slb.com (Brian Verbeek) or dig up his old post

"Re: Ben Pon and Dereks Big Mot"

in the archives.

Or contact the company directly,

Ahnendorp GmbH Klever Strasse 8 4294 Iselburg 2 Anholt Germany

Tel. 02874 4047 Fax 02874 1816

> Derek, > > I can't find an address or fax# for Oettinger. I want to explore > the 2.5 thing a little more. I went through the archives, seems > there was momentum on this for awhile, but much of the world is > sinewaves...

Well, I dropped the ball on it. I have a phone number for Oettinger in NY somewhere. Remind me in about a week and I'll dig the number out. Oettinger answers the phone and the people there are pleasant to deal with but I am told Oettinger is down from a huge organization to a handful of individuals sitting around in a warehouse taking orders for old stock.

> If they don't want to sell in the US, I was thinking about the guy > going over in January. One ad in the back of EC has a local vendor > mentioning Oettinger, but when I called him it seems he is only at the > stage of ordering their catalogue.

When I wrote to them for some fogg lamp parts they sent them to my home in NYC no questions asked and no duty or taxes charged either. I think if you don't make a big deal out of this they might ship the motor parts here. Or we could get a european list fanatic to forward the stuff.

> Do you have data on the 2.5? Is it just cylinders and pistons, > or did they do the crankshaft? Any specs?

No. Dunno.

> Syncro #2 arrives tonite or tomorrow am.

Perhaps I could reproduce some Oettinger letters off my hard drive. :

April 25, 1994

Derek Drew 487 Columbus Ave. #3R New York, NY 10024 212-580-4459

OKRASA Dipl. -lng. G. Oettinger GmbH & Co. KG Kraftfahrtechnik Max-Planeck-Strabe 36 6382 Friedrichsdorf Germany

Dear Sirs,

In July of 1990 I ordered and installed a set of Oettinger fog lamps, Ordernumber: OE 631 009 00, for my Volkswagen Type II Caravelle Syncro Transporter Westfalia Joker. I received these here in New York City and installed them. But a few months later my vehicle hit a deer that was walking in the road and the Volkswagen was destroyed. Unfortunately, the plastic pieces (OE 631 012 00) that cover the turn signal lenz were broken in the accident.

In 1990 I bought another Syncro Westfalia Caravelle Camper and I wrote to you at that time asking to buy 1) 3 additional sets of plastic grill pieces (OE 631 012 00)--the ones that go over the turn signal lenz, and 2) a second set of fogg lamps for my friend. You wrote back to me within a couple of months saying that you were sorry for the delay but you were returning the 3 additional sets of plastic grill pieces to the manufacturer because of poor quality and that there would be a delay. A few months later you sent me the OE 631 009 00 but not the 3 additional sets of plastic grill pieces.

Please quote me a price to buy additional sets (left + right) of OE 641 012 00 plastic pieces to cover the turn signal lenz and fogg lamps. You may respond to this letter by voice or fax to me here in New York at 212-580-4459. Or you may use postal mail to the address above or electronic mail to me on INTERNET at derekdrew@aol.com. I still have an extra set of Oettinger fogg lamps but cannot use them without these spare parts.

Thank you,

TO: S. Fragkopoulos Oettinger Max-Planek-StraBe 36 D-61381 Friedrichsdorf Germany

FROM: Derek Drew 487 Columbus Ave. #3R New York, NY 10024 USA

Thank you for responding to my letter. Can you please send me two pairs of these fogg lamp plastic grill pieces (OE 631 012 00 x 2 + OE 631 011 00 x 2 = DM182.62) to my address here in New York via your normal government post office system. I want you to send these to me by ship and not by air because by air it is too expensive.

I would like to pay by credit card. I have an American Express card xxxxxxxxxxx (expires April 1997) or a Visa card xxxxxxxxxxxx (expires July 1995) or a MasterCard xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (expires July 1995).

If you have questions/problems my voice and fax number is 212-580-4459.

Thank you,

Derek Drew

After this they called by telephone and told me to send a check as they no longer accepted credit cards. ___________________________________ Derek Drew drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup address, checked infrequently)