Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 1995 20:14:18 +0500
From:         Psychic Trucker <mantis@vt.edu>
Subject:      Re: Can I replace my back seats of 84 van with newer seats?

>I too have a 84 Vanagon GL and want the weekender setup. I believe that the >weekender will >fit (let me know if you hear differently) >Go Aftermarket: Z-Products says they have a conversion kit to turn >a normal back bench into a weekender style seat. I asked them to send me >some information on it. The kits costs $250.00 and they said you'll >need power tools and a good mechanical sense.

Here is an opportunity to tell a little more about my vanagon acquisition and my girlfriend's (such a silly word) vanagon acquisition. I bought my vanagon (1985, immaculate GL, 71k) for $2800 it had a broken side window, a cracked front window, and the transmission was leaking (the seal between the tranny and the final drive box) Well, i took it on "tour" with Phish (for two days, Raliegh, NC, and Gainesville, VA) with my girlfriend and another friend. Like I said the transmission was leaking bad and I was very unfamiliar with this vehicle, i had just bought it. Even though i was worried about making this 600 mile trip, everything went well. We all slept in the van at a north carolina rest stop with a bunch of other Phishheads (overnight stays there were illegal, but the DMV cop was a nice guy). All the while, my girlfriend is telling me how she is possibly getting a 1985 vanagon GL also, and if she does, it will be at her house when we return. Well, we get home and sure enough, a white vanagon is sitting in front of her house, BUT it had the bed and mine did not, JEALOUSY! I looked at her rear seat and noticed that it was exactly like mine and i got to thinking that i had a bed too, (but i didn't have the extra mattress) so i went to my van and sure enough, after a few tugs, out popped half of a bed, i ran around her neighborhood like a crazy man for about 5 min. Eventually i had a mattress made at an uphostery shop ($80, and very nice) and its a nice sleeper.

(Here's the part thats important) I was under the delusion that i did not have a bed when i bought the van and i called around looking for answers (with the help of joel) and i do believe that your best bet would be to get an original VW seat, used, because that kit one opens up LEVEL with the rear deck, and you will need a LARGE mattress for that whole thing, not pretty. Also expect to pay more than $80 for that additional mattress, firm padding is not cheap, i got lucky, so look into this before going all the way.

brad '85 GL