Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Dec 1995 10:51:01 -0500
From:         Mriehs@aol.com
Subject:      Recurring air in my cooling system

I replaced the engine in my '83 water-cooled vanagon with a new updated '84. The installation went well as I had some motor-head assistance to make up for my complete lack of knowledge. With the Bentley book in hand the insallation was a near success.

We did not properly bleed the cooling system of its air. This came to a head when I was using the vanagon as a giant flashlight with the engine idling for some thirty minutes. It seems an air blockage kept the coolant from reaching the radiator and the poor thing heated over :(

Well I shut the poor thing down and topped it off, got it to my local shop where the mechanic and I tried to bleed the system of air. Following the Bentley book word for word, I believe we did an excellent job. Well two weeks later, new snow tires and all we climb in the rig for a Christmas shopping road trip to Burlington VT in one of New Hampshire's first snows of the season. The journey went without a hitch, EXCEPT, we lost the heat intermittently and the temp needle did a dramatic climb (clutch-in coast on the interstate brought the needle back where it stayed until it was time to drive back.) So, having gained much insight and mechanical aptitude over the past months (I am turly indebted to this beast for imparting such knowledge) I have diagnosed the problem as air in the system.

So, I tried to bleed it again this past weekend by parking it on a slope on our property (I am not certain the front wheels were exactly 40cm higher than the back--at first it was more, then a I rolled down the hill to reduce the angle). I was only getting air out of the radiator---intermittently i could get a gurgle of coolant but not consistent and I could hear a certain gurgling\swishing\whitewater rafting sound down in the radiator. When I had made the trek back to the engine for the nth time the expansion tank was below minimum and quite near the coolant hose outlet height, so I removed the tank cap to add more coolant but before I could a massive backwash would come up and out of the tank onto my cold hands and down to my shoes.

There is the background. Here are my questions:

Have I done any permanent damage from the first boil-over? Where is the air coming from? Could it be what was referenced by Patrick yesterday? What am I doing wrong when I am bleeding the system?

Any general directions (or specific instructions) would help me out a bunch. My love-hate relationship with this nearly perfect red & white beauty always comes back to the smile on my face when I hop in the pilot's seat and cruise the white mountains of NH (and surrounds!). Please help me get this baby on the road again.