Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Dec 1995 15:23:21 -0500 (EST)
From:         William Alan Killian <killian@qnet.com>
Subject:      Re: any EuroVans out there?  (and prob. to watch for)

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Norman Leong wrote:

> While I'm here, I'm coming up on the end of the 2 year bumper-to-bumper > warranty; > Has anyone compiled a list of final checks for the dealer to go over before > we as owners > grab our ankles? > This (so far) has been the most reliable VW I've owned yet, but occaisionally > I hear > interesting sounds from the engine that make me wonder... > > Norman > norman_leong@baynetworks.com

We're approaching the same point but through mileage not age (bought it as new in late '94), so we too are interested in this.

I'm getting real unhappy with the sound of the engine as it starts in the morning. The local dealer swears that it isn't that 'piston slapping thing'. They claim that it is only if the sound is always present contradicting the information posted here earlier. Is the piston slp problem a drive train thing that would give me extra time or is it only under the 24/24 bumper to bumper? What do I do to convince the dealer to reasses the engine?

Only things we've ad problems with so far are the various plastic pieces particularly on the MV jump seats. The clips break off and the seatbelt parts scratch them. We also had one of the cup holders break and the replacement was slightly different - beefier looking so I hope it holds up better. Don't have power windows so we didn't have that problem. We have (unfortunately) an automatic so does the shifter problem pertain only to sticks? There was a recall that did affect us but I can't remember what it was. Something minor like an engine fire problem <g>.

I really do feel this is an exceptionally well designed vehicle (despite the '90s levels of plastic).

bill and diane killian zen and the art of ferrets