Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Dec 1995 02:24:07 -0700
From:         plima@indirect.com (Peter J. Lima)
Subject:      Dashboard Altars

raven@halcyon.com wrote -- > I have an idea that I'd like to toss out to the list community. I've always > maintained an alter of sorts on the dash of my bus. A rolling history of my > travels. My alter tends to be natural in origin: wildflowers, leaves, > sticks, stones, bones, kelp, sea shells, etc. with the occasional plastic > novelty thrown in for good humor. > > The idea is to create a "VW Bus Dashboard Alters" web page with photos of > various dashboard alters. I'm willing to host the page if there is enough > interest. Let me know (nicely) if this idea is too weird or crazy or boring, > or...

I like the altar idea, kinda, and the website might be interesting. I never thought of it but it might not hurt, just for psychological value. Seems like a moving altar might get knocked around a lot with stuff flying all over. . .how to build a stable platform? Maybe it'd be better to set up a flat table between the front seats or somewhere in the rear of the bus. Should be dedicated to a god of travel, like Mercury or someone like that. Myself, I just stick to "all-seeing eye" decals in the windows for good luck (like the eyes that fishermen paint on their boats to avoid accidents.)

poor richard responded -- >Be careful, as in some states, Virginia for instance, it is illegal to >have items hanging from the rear-view mirror, and generally impeding >your view of the road. It's one of those laws they use to stop >"suspicious" vehicles, like busses, and search them without consent, >since you've already broken the law... >Richard

I've often wondered about this: Do Buses tend to get pulled over more than other vehicles because of supposed police prejudice? I don't mean really obvious, Grateful Dead style buses, just regular ones. I'd hate to have to deal with this, as I have been known to transport various "magical" substances for friends. I like those Owsley Bear stickers, too, but I wonder how many folks are hip to the meaning of them. . .??

pjl '79 Bus '58 Bug