Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:42:31 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Variable temp solder iron.

I have lusted after the Weller variable temp irons for a while now but couldn't justify the cost for my limited tinkering and repair. I have 2 irons, a 25W one I use for circuit boards and a 40W one that works nice for automotive wire.

The problem is the 40W model just plain gets too hot and scorches my flux and degrades the tinning solder. So, using some cross-platform technology from bee-keeping, i now have a variable temp iron.

In bee-keeping, we use a 'hot knife' for removing the wax cappings from the frames of honey. Same problem as the soldering irons-- the hot knife gets too hot sorching the wax and honey, even tho it has a crude on/off regulating thermostat. I built a 110V rheostat that allows me to regulate temps or speeds on a variety of devices. Essentially, it is a rotary lamp dimmer wired to a 110V receptacle and placed on a line cord. Plug the device into the outlet, set the dimmer to whatever output you need and the rest is Duck Soup.

Here's what you need: -metal 2-gang junction box. ~$2 -600W dimmer. $8 -110V outlet. $0.69 -dual cover plate that has and opening for the 110v outlet and a wall switch. $1. -3M rubber feet. $2 -old 3 wire extension cord. -metal line cord clamp for junction boxes. -a few wire nuts.

Wire the dimmer to control the 110v outlet. cut off the female end of the old extension cord and wire this to the dimmer. mount all this in the junction box. as the old saying goes, if you need more detail than this you shouldn't be trying it. add the cover plate to the box and put rubber feet on the bottom of it. now all i do is plug in this rheostat box to an outlet, plug my solder iron or hot knife into the controlled 110v receptacle, and crank to the best temp.

This allows me to have my iron on for extended periods without it turning to a black crust, yet have enough heat to really do a nice job.

-dan