Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Dec 1995 17:02:15 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      sunroof like i Jurassic Park, The Mermen

When I was a boy, Oldsmobile's had such windows for the middle seat passengers in their station wagons. They called 'em Vista Crusers..... I'm wondering if one could form a plexiglass window to the same lovely curves as the original top- say by drape, plunge or vaccuum forming, and then cut-out metal as felt safe, and insert the plasitic.

Actually, using standard H section window rubber, you could make a frame that had the same dimensions as the front part of the 68-71 westie luggage rack, and glaze the whole thing with flat plexiglass or polycarbonate. (Polycarbonate isn't as flamable and is physically tougher). Just (ha!) weld together the frame from square section tubing, then put fillets at the corners if you want and attach a rail for the rubber to grip. For water-tightness, you'd want to continiously weld the rail, like this: _ square section tube --> [_] | <--- rail H <--- generic window rubber : : <--- plastic window

Maybe tack welds and then braised filler for waterproofing? I'm not competent here....

Ever since I saw a BMW station wagon I've had a sick urge to turn one into a Vistacrusier, with metalic blue paint and wood-grain side pannels. Except, since its a BMW, the wood-grain would be real birds-eye maple vernier laminated with a couple of plies of alder or regular maple, teak framing and the whole buiness attached with brass fittings... :)

It IS Friday!

Bay Area folks- Tomorrow, The Mermen play at Foothill College, with Brazil 2001 and another surf band. Show starts at 7:00, expect the Mermen at 9:00 or so, tickets are $10 at the door, parking requires 4 quarters, even on weekends :(. Bassist Allen Whitman says they will be playing new stuff from their upcoming big label (Blue Moon/Mesa) EP and Christmas songs :). If you don't attend in person, try 89.7fm between 7 and ??? Saturday night, as the show will be broadcast.

Bill