Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 1996 09:04:19 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Reprinting list postings in newsletters

Arright, aright, aright... Here's my CDN$0.02 worth on the issue of reprinting posts from the vanagon list in newsletters or other "non-net" media:

1) I think it's just common courtesy for an editor to ask permission to re-print something someone posted here. I mean, how hard can it be? The original poster's e-mail address is on the article, so it's not like they'd be hard to get a hold of or anything. The poster should be asked for permission, not Gerry, 'cause Gerry didn't write it.

2) We're all pretty free with our ideas here, so I can't see a big problem with people not wishing to grant permission just because they don't want to let go of "their" intellectual property. And I'm not a copyright lawyer (never even played one on T.V.!), but couldn't posting here be considered a form of publishing, so looked at that way each of the original posters hold copyright to their articles (we never signed over copyright to Gerry or "the list")? Please don't follow up on this speculation here--agree or disagree with me, but copyright law is just too far off VW topic for the list to be burdened with IMHO. If this is really an issue maybe Ric will have something to say about it when he gets back (but who will he bill?).

3) I think that writing for the 'net is different than writing for print media, and I use different writing styles accordingly. I want an opportunity to re-work anything I post here before it goes out to the rest of the world in print form with my name on it. The sloppy English I use here would make me look (more?) stupid if re-printed in a mag or newsletter, so I want an opportunity to make changes (or leave it be, or whatever, but it should be my call). It's a different culture here, with its own lexicon: when was the last time you saw emoticons, "IMHO", "FWIW", and references to vanagon@lenti inside jokes in print media?

4) It should not be incumbent on the original poster to say "Not for Newsletter X" and the bottom of each post. A newsletter editor wants to use something I wrote? Talk to me. Don't just lift it because it's so easy. I won't hold back, and I really can't see other people here doing so either. Just tell us what is going to happen with the material, ask permission to use it, and we'll either grant permission, or do some editing before sending it along. Whetever, but it should be the poster's perogative. I really am hard pressed to see that this poses a problem for newsletter/magazine editors.

There. I've said enough.

Tobin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Only Somewhat ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)