Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jan 96 16:46:44 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      We shoulda gone to Martha's....<limited VW content>

Apparently the VW gods frowned upon our decision to spend New Year's Eve in a rustic lodge near Kings Canyon Nat'l Park rather than go to Martha's New Year's Eve bash.

Here's how they had their revenge: Francesca and I returned from a xc-ski outing to be greeted by one of the lodge staff - "Uhhh, Nikki had a sledding accident and did something to his shoulder.......". They had done a good job with the first aid but it was clear that Nikki was in real pain and that something was amiss with his collarbone. Sooooo, we set up the lower bed in the westy, moved him in, bundled up with blankets and padded with pillows and I started the 90 minute trek down the mountain to the hospital in exciting Reedley, CA.

Now here's the VW content: When you are in a hurry, few sounds are more comforting than those twin Solexes wide open, calling out for more air and fuel. Second item, if you haven't already spent the eighteen bucks to upgrade your sealed beams to the halogen type, consider doing so. On low beam the change is very subtle, but on high beam these puppies throw out a lot more light, a comforting commodity when you are trying to make good time over dark, unlit, country roads.

The hospital emergency room was a hub-bub of activity. I'm convinced that every sick Mexican-American infant in the central valley was in there wailing. There was nowhere to sit. I put Nikki in a wheelchair and left him in the hall while I "spoke" with the Nurse-in-charge.

The folks at the Sierra-Kings District Hospital are actually quite good. They see the babies when they can but this was New Years Eve and they had their hands full with other problems of a more urgent nature - One young man had neglected to put on his seat belt and landed face first on the pavement when his car was hit. There was a woman who had gotten into a fist fight with one of her in-laws and then, a half hour later, been poisened. Even after having her stomach pumped, her face <bruised from the fight> was the color of window putty.

Nikki got x-rayed on a machine may have been good when it was built in the fifties. The films from it were so light as to be nearly unreadable. The offset in the clavicle was evident but fortunately only a couple millimeters. Surgery not required. Nikki was put into a brace, given some hefty pain killers and we were on our way. Just under two hours total, most of it waiting.

Now if only we had left that morning, destination Moraga, that sledding adventure would never have taken place. Nikki would be at school now, instead of at home enjoying narcotics and running up my AOL bill......

Happy New Year! <?>

Dave