Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jan 1996 22:06:47 -0500
From:         djones@sam.i3.net (Doug Jones)
Subject:      coil over shock info

Hey there folks. Well here it is. Type II '68-'79 (that's all I checked, mine's a '72) take rear shocks of the same dimensions, so these SHOULD work on those years with a few modifications. Well here goes with a few specs.

original coil-over

lenghth ext. 22.875" 22.5" collapsed 13.5" 13.375" mount hole dia 12mm 5/8"

Well as you can see the length difference shouldn't have any significant impact on they're installation. The diameter of the mounting holes are the same top and bottom on both shocks so a couple small sleeves should solve that. And guess what, the sleeves on the shocks that were on my bus (although a real chore to remove and install) fit nicely. Now for the biggest but still relatively minor problem. Since the shock has a coil spring around it, it's approx. 1" larger in diameter and wouldn't clear some sheet metal down there in the nether regions. Fortunately a spacer about 1/2" thick slid on before the shock solved that. Remember to put one top and bottom to keep the geometry correct. It left me with about a half a thread showing but why would you possibly need more than a full nut's worth of threads? You wouldn't. I hope this helps all your draggin' ass buses. By the by, as I mentioned earlier I manage a FLAPS here in Florida. I sell these for $30.81 ea. You should be able to get them for that at any larger auto parts store. They list for $73.95 ea and installer price is $45.31 ea. The price I quoted is jobber price and smaller stores may be reluctant to sell them that cheap because some may pay that themselves. Happy hoisting, Doug