Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jan 1996 14:47:56 -0800
From:         sage@instanet.com (Martin Sage)
Subject:      How to hot wire a VW or what to do when your dash goes up in smoke

Hi ALL...Have I got a story , Left Sat. afternoon from Burbank, drove up 101 to Salinas and then turned west toward Monterey. Half way there, while going up a steep grade into Carmel Valley my van dies. I quickly pull over and look. No fuses blown, starter works, gas in see-thru filter to carb but no spark to plugs. I pull off the hot side of the coil and I see a spark so I know I'm getting juice to the coil. Pull off the dist.cap to check the points and low...what do I see... but the tiny brown thing that rides on the dist. cam has broken off!

I'm stuck (didn't bring an extra set of points). Sleep in my van(I'm out in nowhere land) and set off the next morning,Sunday, to Monterey...8mi... to get new points. An hour of walking and a really nice guy picks me up, drives me into town to the local FLAPS and back out to my van. I put in the points, turn the key and it starts right up. Now comes the good part.

The night before while I was trying to figure out what was wrong, one of the things I did was disconnect my kill switch wires and taped them together (I thought the kill switch might have gone bad). So, after getting the van running I decided to re-connect the kill switch...well I don't know how I did it but I somehow grounded the hot side because when I flipped the switch a huge puff of smoke came out of the fuse panel...yes...I had fried the entire bundle of wires...have you ever seen a grown man cry...to say I was having a bad day is putting it mildly.

That's why, after hiking to a phone booth and having the AAA guy tell me it would be meaningless for him to come out and tow me because nothing will be open till Tues., I accepted my fate and walked back to my van, prepared to celebrate the New Year alone, in the dark, on the side of the road.

It was then, back at the van, that it dawned on me that all I needed was juice to the coil and maybe she'd run. Crawling under the van I cut a 3ft length of my ignition wire (the thing was dead anyway) and stripped off an inch or so from each end. One end I wrapped around the hot side of my aux. selinoid switch (although I could have connected it to the hot side of my battery) and the other end I connected to the hot side of the coil. I disconnected the other wire on my aux. selinoid and touched it to the hot side ...this brought the starter to life, and the engine started !!!!

I drove back today ...almost 400miles ...hot wired.

Martin