Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jan 96 13:08:30 +0100 (CET)
From:         GlenSwanson@dk-online.dk (Glen Swanson)
Subject:      the difference between early motors

>Whats the difference between a 25hp motor and a 36hp motor? >I mean besides the (duh) hp rating & displacement.

>And is that bhp or SAE?

>Is is something you can detect with the naked (!) eye?

>How hard is it to get parts for one of these beauties?

>I guess its obvious that I'm looking to add a vehicle with >this tremendous amount of horsepower to my stable... Details >when I get the deal gelled...

>Thom I looked over some info I had laying about and came up with this list. Some of this isn't to obvious, and some is.

The 25bhp (30 DIN) @ 3,300

Solex 26VFJ, until 1948 HUF, to 1950 Solex 26 VFIS, until 1952 Solex PCI, post '52. Single tailpipe. Bore and stroke 75mm X64mm (1131) Compression ratio 5.8:1 Mushroon-shaped air filter until 1949 there after the T-Shaped Filter. Thermostat added in 1950 Gudgeon pins are offset in 1950 (O.K. you're not going to spot this one at first glance...) The aluminium case is replaced by magnesium alloy in 1951 Last production date is December 31, 1951 #575 414.

34 hk (DIN) @3,600 rpm

Solex PCI Solex 28 PICT with auto choke fitted in 1959. Bore and stroke 77mm X64mm (1192) Compression ratio 6.6:1 Larger inlet and exhaust valves. Redesigned cylinder heads; more fins added to aid in cooling. Vacuum ignition advance. The dynamo bracket is bolted in place as of1959, and at this time the fuel pump is moved from the side to the top of the crankcase.

Would you mind sharing the secret? What have you found, and how complete is it? Good luck!

Glen Swanson 1956 de luxe sedan daily driver 1961 221 transporter