Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jan 1996 08:09:17 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: 110 Volt Heaters Not Sufficient-->LIES!

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Derek Drew wrote:

> >Conclusion: The easisest and most effective > >alternative is to stay at an RV Park and run an electric heater. ($30, > >plus $15/night), but this won't work on cold evenings at a trailhead... > > No good either. For winter use, a 110 volt heater is not adequate to heat > the interior to comfy warm conditions--the BTUs are simply insufficient, I > have found.

I respectfully disagree, kind sir. We have a 1500W 110V forced-air heater for cold nights in our westy, and it keeps us nicely warm, even when it's as cold as -20 C. And, no, just because I'm Canadian doesn't mean I'm acclimatized to cold weather--when it gets below 23 C (75 F) in an interior space, I get grouchy. The electric heater keeps me happy in cold weather, with the big drag being that you have to stay at a dismal 'RV Park'-type place to find hook-ups in the winter. And no worries about CO poisoning, so we sleep cozy through the night!

When it's only a little below freezing, we have to turn the heater waaaaay down, or the temp inside the camper gets up to 85 F or higher. No kidding.

If Derek has problems with electric heaters below -20 C, he may be speaking the truth about insufficient heating capacity since we've never camped in the camper at colder temperatures. If this is the case, and he was referring specifically to temps below -20 C, then I take back my libelous accusation and hope he doesn't sic Ric on me. ;-)

If you're thinking of trying to run one of these off your batteries, forget it. Watts= Volts x Amps, right? With 1500 Watts from your 12 Volt system, you're looking at 125 Amps draw BEFORE taking into account loses from the inverter and whatnot. You won't have heat for long at that rate!

Tobin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Only Somewhat ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)