Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 03 Jan 96 09:23:27 mdt
From:         jonesl@tcplink.nrel.gov
Subject:      propane tankage

Understand your frustration with the small VW camper tank. I have had the same problem with other RV trailers and vehicles when camping in "rustic" camping areas in Wyoming and western Colorado.

Here's the thought process I went thru and what I came up with -

Thought about adding additional propane tank to other side of vehicle - decided not to. Only needed the extra capacity when camping for extended periods - more than a weekend. Besides - there wasn't enough room to install more than about the same size 3 gallon tank - so it wouldn't really solve the problem of camping for a couple of weeks. On top of that, carrying the extra weight of the tank and the propane around wouldn't do mileage, etc. any good. Also would have had to cut some holes thru the frame to run copper tubing from the new tank to the distibution system, etc.

What I finally did was to get some extra propane bottles. I already had a bottle that came with my propane grill (a standard size 20 # bottle). I bought another one (you can get 'em for around $25 most discount places - sometimes less than $20 on sale), and then I got lucky and found a 40# bottle in the ditch alongside a road between Green River and Farson, Wyoming - (somebody probably hit a pothole with the bottle in the back of their pickup and it went flying!). What I did next was get some flared brass fittings, copper tubing, a valve, a regulator, and a flexible hose from the FLRVD (friendly local RV dealer). I plumbed a tee into the existing propane distribution system; and, using the copper tubing and the valve - set up a propane service connection at the side of the camper (can't remember exactly where).

Whenever we went camping for more than a couple of days, I'd take along as many bottles as I thought it would take plus one. I'd get the camper into place and levelled up - then connect the flexible hose to the service connection valve at the side of the camper. (The regulator would be attached to the other end of the flex hose) I'd set the first bottle up next to the camper, hook up the regulator, open the tank valve and the service connection valve, bleed the system, check for leaks with soapy water, light the furnace pilot, etc.

Worked like a charm. Checked the bottle before going to bed each night to make sure there was enough propane left to make it thru the night - changed bottles as necessary. I found that the 20# bottles were more handy than the 40# bottle in most situations - easier to handle. Also - most RV stores and other bulk propane dealers are only open during normal business hours for filling the large bottle. But - at least in this part of the country - a lot of service stations, convenience stores, super markets, etc. have started providing a service called "Propane Exchange" - where you bring in your empty 20# bottle and your $$$ and trade for a full bottle. It's darn near twice the price of buying from a propane bulk dealer, but at least they're open when you need 'em.

Another handy feature - If you're going to camp somewhere in the unimproved national forest, BLM land, etc. for a lengthy period of time - for hunting, wood cutting, stargazing, other politically incorrect activities, etc. - you can often arrange to rent and have delivered to your location, larger horizontal propane tanks (several hundred gals) from a bulk dealer. A lot of my friends in Wyoming do this when they go out in the woods for extended periods. Usually have to put down a significant deposit, though.

Hope this helps you some