Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 96 12:45:21 gmt
From:         Andy Erskine <a.c.erskine@lut.ac.uk>
Subject:      Back from down under

Happy new year to you all. I just got back from a couple of very enjoyable weeks in Australia visiting Ann's family, most of it spent watching cricket, lounging about in the sun and sucking stubbies. I saw plenty of nice VWs, although I was almost in tears at the sight of so many otherwise perfect early bugs that had been butchered into ragtops and splitties with glassfibre flares and wide wheels. I was hoping to rent a VW camper while I was there but ended up with a <cringe> Toyota. It was brand spanking new, but went back a week later with 3000 km on it and looking decidedly secondhand. There might have been something in the agreement about NOT driving it up river beds or in the sea but I never read the small print anyway. With all the slightly unusual VWs around I wanted to get something that wouldn't be available in Europe to take back home and make my bus a little different so one morning I did a bit of sight-seeing at a VW-only scrapyard that had about 20 bay windows and 3 splits (not much left of them though). The only problem was the stuff had to go home on the plane, so the roo-bars and the nice '60 beetle had to be ruled out. I got two of those funky metal sun visors that go above the windshield. Completely pointless in England, I know, but they look good and might help keep the rain off. Had fun getting these in the taxi to the airport and got some strange looks when they appeared on the baggage corousel. One will be on my bus before long and the other is up for grabs if anyone's interested. I also got a few small things that would fit in my pockets like some bits of bay-window deluxe trim that are practically impossible to find here, some jail bar brackets, some switches and a blanking plate for the radio hole in the dash. Not much use to me but I've only seen a couple of these before and it might come in handy. The yard owner let me nose around and gave me a few old licence plates as souvenirs. He must have thought that, being a pom, I had been out in the sun too long the way I was getting excited about the piles of junk that were lying everywhere but then I showed him some photos of our race buggy and we got talking for drag racing for quite a while. I bought a few Australian VW magazines as well. It seems BIG engines (like 2.5 or 3 litres) are in favour although I'm amazed they don't have reliability problems with these when they're fitted to campers. There is an amazing photo in one of the ads of a bay-window kombi cornering on two wheels. It gives the drivers name (although I can't remember it off hand) but little other info. It seems he races it in hillclimbs, it did 14 sec 1/4 miles with the old engine and he has since fitted a 270HP turbo engine. I'll definitely have to find out more about this bloke.

Andy E.

A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk