Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 1996 06:11:43 -0800
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      more on pfeiffer

As some of you have pointed out, I haven't said much about the food/potluck thing for this coming weekend's trip to Pfeiffer. Since some (see list below) are up in the air, it seems problematical to have people sign up (or be assigned to) special dishes, so my idea is that it would be good for you all to bring appetizer/finger-type foods to share as much as possible (I can just see it now: 9 bags of tortilla chips :). I know that you all know to byob. (While we're on that subject, please also bring, in order of importance: firewood, cool stuff to burn, lawn chairs, ice).

Al Knoll is bringing some more of his famous fabulous chili for Saturday nite, so if you have mex-type stuff that would compliment it, throw it in. I'll bring/make some cornbread. I'll also bring stuff for breakfast (including "good" coffee), but I may try to recruit one of the early risers to cook stuff in the a.m. both days. Volunteers? :)

I'll make some sort of entree and probably some sort of starchy accompaniment for Friday evening, since I plan to be in Pfeiffer early on, on Friday. If anyone can do a salad, vegetables, or fruit, that would be great. Dessert munchies welcome.

Lunch is do-yer-own.

---

Some have asked about reservations. If you feel more comfortable, pleast feel free to make them (Mixtix). Many of us did so last year at the inaugural trip, but in retrospect it seems unnecessary, as there was hardly anyone else in the park last January (though this may have been due to the nasty weather at the time). Personally, I'm going to take my chances.

Directions: (vauge, sorry). Pfeiffer/Big Sur is not particularly near any other city, other than several other camping places, many of which, confusingly, also have the name Pfeiffer in them. Do NOT go to Pfeiffer/Burns - we are at Pfeiffer/Big Sur, which, in my recollection is a state park. It's on Highway One, about 29 miles south of Carmel, on the east side of the highway. At least last year, and I assume still, there are showers there. They run on quarters. Bring LOTS. The toilets are real. The AC was "iffy" last year, probably from the storm, and in any case, it's not available per site. Water in the bathrooms if I remember, and possibly a few other strategic locations.

---

When you drive in, especially if you come at nite, just follow the 5,000+ degree fahrnheit glow in the campground, you'll find us. We like places of to ourselves at the end - you'll find us. You can also listen for exploding cans of beans, bottle rockets, roman candles, and general obnoxious behavior. :)

---

See you all there! Below is the roster...

--

Dave Schwarze des@teleport.com (arr. early aft. Friday) Jack Stafford stafford@alcor.hac.com Kirk van Druten lansharks@batnet.com Martha Rubin busgirl@netcom.com (arr. Friday approx. 2:15) Al Hubbard Hubbard_Al@mlstrmac.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com Al Knoll alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com (if no snow in the mts.) Dave/Nikki/Zoe Kautz dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com (if Nikki feels ok) Martain Sage sage@instanet.com John/Carol Hugenard hugie@lindy.stanford.edu/carol@tonto.stanford.edu Harvey Chao Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com (few hours at lunchtime) Thom Fitzpatrick tfab@netcom.com Bill Donley wdonley@slonet.org

?Jeff Schneiter/Argo jeffs@bats.com (probably will arrive on Saturday) ?Sam Williams sglw@aol.com ?B Abbott/J Delaney wabbott@megatest.com (maybe for part of the time) ?Steve Hoge steveh@emu.com ?Bob/Lumi Park repark@srv.PacBell.COM ?Michael Wagner mwagner@deltanet.com ?Richard Kurtz rmk@sky.net

/martha.