Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 1996 08:53:45 -0800 (PST)
From:         brandys@ichips.intel.com
Subject:      Re: Heaters(again)

hi there, I just did this to my bus, a '73 camper. this is what i saw and talked with others about.

take off the flexible hose that goes from the blower motor in the engine compartment, to the heater boxes and look for holes there. if you find some???? could possibley use muffler repair tape to hold it for a while, but rust is...

under the car the heater boxes on each side go into these plastic acordian cylinders. these are mufflers that help keep engine noise from travelling up front. take them off and examine them for holes and check and make sure the paper inside has not peeled off. if so use chicken wire to force it back against the insides so it is not clogged. now look at your heater boxes where the muffler attatched. you can see the flap (and heater cable) that open up. make sure they open and close.

these accordians attatch to a "Y" then to the tube that goes to the front. take off any existing insulation and look for holes and rust. use sand paper and rustoleum on the rust and jb weld (messy stuff) or RTV and aluminum cans to patch the holes.

up twords the front there is another "y"-ish section (on my bus at least). there is another flap and heater cable hear. when open it allows heat to travel to the back of the bus. make sure it opens and closes. (it was easy for me, there was a huge section of pipe missing).

the tube then twists its way to the front, and up inside. (take a look at what all the pedals do under the bus when you press, the clutch too).

take the cardboard panels off under the dash on the inside of the nose. be careful of the wires. here you can see how it selects between heater foot ducts and defrost. check to make sure the flap works and no holes.

insulate the pipe under the bus, (bob's foam and wax paper or pipe insulation from a hardware store). now fix the door and window seals:)

>I noticed in my >Haynes(rather useless) that there is a secondary blower under the floor. >Is this an option, or do all buses have this? Is there any way to >replace it with one whose speed can be controlled?

I think it was an option, mine does not have one. and yes, you can replace one. the cheapest way is to go to a marine supply store and buy an inline fan with variable speed. you can get them from jc whitney, but i understand they cost twice as much.

hope it helps. take care!

brandy

-- \ / A. Brandy Smith (brandys@ichips.intel.com) \ / (503)264-4239 Pole:JF1-E18 \ X / Intel Corp MD6 networks \ / \ / **************************************** \/ \/ ***"EVERYTHING IS BETTER IN THE BUS!"*** 1973 CAMPER ****************************************