Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 1996 15:08:25 -0800 (PST)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (Thom Fitzpatrick)
Subject:      Re: '56 Controls

And ThatVWGuy@aol.com thus wrote: > > Just bought a '56 Standard Microbus a few weeks back. After a few days of > cleaning she is now ready to drive. But first, I would really like to find > out a few things about the controls (which are different than my '67) On > either side of the heater control knob are two identical pull knob controls, > choke type. The one the drivers side is, ironically, the choke. What is the > other one? Is it the reserve control for the fuel tank? The bus had a gas > heater at one time so it might go to that. I dunno. If it is not the > reserve switch, where is it. It's a '56 so there is no gas guage. I really > don't want to run out of gas without knowing where the reserve is.

The left lever is the choke, the right one is the reserve valve. You might wanna test to make sure its hooked up and functional before you get in a situation where you need it.

It should be real obvious how to check it: make sure you have the valve at the tank, and that moving the cable moves the valve. Of course, pulling the cable out engages the reserve.

Thom -- > Deism: It's God's fault that Shit Happens and he knows it. Thom Fitzpatrick '56 sunroof kombi tfab@netcom.com - ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/tf/tfab/index.html thom@calweb.com - http://www.calweb.com/~thom