Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jan 1996 22:09:08 -0500
From:         limbo@bcn.net (Jim Digennaro)
Subject:      Observation's of "The list"

Hi Volks, First off how does everyone keep up with the latest news. I'm on digest mode and I get two a day.

Any way I wanted to put my two cents worth in on a couple of items I have seen in the list. 1st: Someone asked about or replied to someone about rust and rustoleum. Have you ever tried POR 15? "paint over rust" It works great. In the bodyshop of the GM dealer I work at we use it on those mysterious rust spots that show up in the middle of a fender on most GM's. We've haven't had any comebacks. I did the nose and lots of other spots on my old 70 bus. Worked great. The only real prep is to scrap off the loose scale rust and sand it alittle and I mean just a little. Paint it an let it dry and your done ready for finishing. I get mine from the 'Pro-Tech' mobile paint supply dealer but I'm sure you can get it from any professional paint suppier. 2nd. Second Battery: The isolator I have takes the Alt output and directs it to the battery that needs charging. Unforunately if you want to run anything from a second battery you have to it to the battery. I have thought about installing a switch that would put the van on one of the batteries and then when its run down switch it over to the other battery and start the van. If you have access to 110v you could just run a trickel charger on the single battery you have and run everything provided it doesn't draw more amps than the charge puts out. 3rd. I'm interested in engine convertions other than diesel to gas. Like V6's and maybe Subarus. Speaking of which, Have you ever noiticed how Subarus sound like Beetles when they have a bad muffler. There was a guy in Canada that put a Subaru engine in his bubble window Westy. I think Limbo even did an artical about it. I'll look for the back issue. I read that someone was looking for info and installing radiators in the back of his Bubble window so he could make it a Wet Westy. Well the newsletter G.A.S.S. 'The German Air Sucker Society' published a 6 part series of articals about installing an Audi or VW in-line 4 cylinder engine in a 70 Westy, it was called "WET WESTY". It started in 1994 and finished in early 1995. If your interested write Troy Heitzenrater and G.A.S.S. 927 Liberty ST. Salem, OH 44460. He used two fox radiators mounted parallel to the air intakes of the bus and plumbed them in that way. The artical is realy easy to read at has a lot of neat drawings and photos. By the way a Vanagon 1.9L engine fits nicely into the back of a 68-71 bus, with very little mods. It will also fit the later buses but you need to modify the rear support bracket. 4th Engine cooling flaps: VW made the cooling flaps on to flip open in the event the cable breaks that connects it the thermostat. Its kind of a fail safe.

Enough of my rambling for now. More later. I'm always looking for stuff to put into the LiMBO newsletter so if anyone wants to send me something. Please do.

Keep on Busin' -Jim D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ James Digennaro The Late Model Bus Organization,International Advertising and Promotions Director, Official On-line Represenative. 20 First St Adams, MA. 01220 82 Westfalia 'GTI' E-Mail limbo@bcn.net

Volkswagen Disc Jockey, Have VW will travel.'I DJ most shows in the Northeast' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --