Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 05 Jan 1996 11:51:49 +0000
From:         Ben Stott <bens@atlas.co.uk>
Subject:      VW Van accident URGENT

Re:Techical specifications of a Volkswagen Campervan 1969 G reg. Requesting informatlon on 1. Steerins Capabilities 2. Chassis Strength

My girlfriend owned a beautiful right hand drive VW campervan it was well kept inside and in good condition all over. I was driving the VW in England in April of this year when I was involved in a head on collision. The driver of the car that hit me drove towards me at high speed crossed the middle of the road and came into my lane.

The driver is trying to cover his mistake by claiming that I swerved the VW to the right and then to the left in a ridiculously short space of time and length of the road. I know from several years experience of driving VW campervans that the steering is slower and less responsive than modern cars let alone those with power assisted steering and that what he claims is not physically possible, but I need information about VW steering capabilities that has come from an acknowledged source in order to help prove his claim to be false.

He also claims to have been travelling at 40 mph. The whole of the VW is distorted from his impact even the roof. I believe the chassis is more sturdy and the body panels thicker than modern cars, having the chassis specifications would help to show that he was speeding-. Therefore I ask you to help me with the following questions.

1. Steering Capabilities. a) When driving in the G reg. 1969 campervan at 55-60 miles per hour what is the angle of the most acute turn one can make at this speed without causing tyre scuffs and skid marks on the road nor losing control of the van ?

b) If the campervan is driven at 55-60mph and steered to turn at the most acute angle possible for the speed how long will it take, in meters and seconds, for the vehicle to straighten up on its new course ?

c) Diagram to show measurements of the road width and the course steered by the VW according to the driver that hit me.

Using the above diagram, if the campervan is driven at 55-60 mph and steers to the right at the most acute angle it can and then back to the left at as much as it can and straightens up to continue going straight ahead how long would it take in seconds and meters to do this ? Please give how long it would take for the whole manoeuvre A to C and most important how long between B and C ?

d) If you are not able to answer these questions directly please send any Iiterature, statistics, charts etc. that will help to show the most acute angle the campervan can be steered when travelling at 55mph,60mph etc. even if it is in german.

2 Chassis Strength.

a) Please send all the dimensions of the whole chassis and body work of the 1969,"G" registation campervan. Giving size, weight of the chassis components. thickness of body panels and if possible the stress factors and shear strength of the chassis.

b) Is there any information or test results that will help me understand how an impact to the front and off side of the campervan at an angle of 16 degrees approx can cause the whole frame even the roof to distort and become twisted. I can send photographs if this will help.

Please send as much information as possible. It is especially important that any answers to my questions about steering capabilities reach me by the 4th of January.

Thankyou.

Reply to ben_stott@pentagram.co.uk