Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:17:08 -0600 (CST)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon safety statistics

All this talk of crashing brings up something I have been pondering. If these things are dangerous in front end collisions why not do something about it? How about some kind of crash bar for the front like I see on those big 4x4's? If you could stick it out far enough you could get some braces from the top to the mount. Something like

This first line would be the front of the crash protection thing, the diagonal would be it's support and the second vertical line is the front of the bus. Scale, etc leaves a lot to be desired. I would think something like this could be mounted to the existing front bumper mounts up underneath the bus. You could even mount some nice lights on the thing and have room behind it for the spare. I don't know thing one about the feasibility of something like this. It just seems to me like we all have spent some amount of time re-engineering our buses and this is an area that seems to need some attention as well. Of course, I am after something purely functional here. The looks of it don't matter to me. In my wildest dreams I imagine this this sitting about 18" in front of the front bumper, this would leave enough room for a nice sized metal box that would hold my tool boxes and spare parts. A nicely designed box could be made more secure than the interior of the bus, for storing such items. Of course, there are all the weight considerations. Anybody know a good welder? -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/