Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:50:06 PDT
From:         "Shawn Wright, SMUS Network Analyst" <swright@smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      re: Bosch CIS problems

> Hi All, > I need some input. I have a 82 Westy Diesel that I converted to gas > using a 83 Rabbit GTI motor. I used the stock CIS fuel injection. All has > been well until it started getting cold. > > My problem: 1st, It started skipping. Not ignition related. checked > everything, cap,rotor,wires plugs,halls unit and control unit, everythings > OK and most of it is new.. It would skip worse when I gave it more thottle. > Then as suddenly as it started skipping it stopped. Ran great, for a > while. When it started again I decided to check FI parts. Everything I > could check with a test light and multimeter, except Fuel pump seemed to > check out. Finally I borrowed a fuel gauge and the pressure seemed fine, > about 68psi. Now the book said pressure was ok but the cold pressure > seemed high. Lets put it this way the pressure never dropped below 50 from > start-up til operating temp. When the car was off the pressure dropped to > 28psi and stayed there for the time allowed when checking for leaks. > However fuel pump output was less than 16oz for 30sec operation. Book said > at least 32oz. I replaced the fuel pump. Output great over 32oz of 30sec > operation. The engine didn't run anybetter right away. Then suddenly bam > runs great. And has seemed to run good ever since. Although a couple of > times I felt it skip under acceleration. Problem #2 Now it doesn't like to > stay running cold. I have to start the van between 8 and twelve times > before it will stay running. It driving me crazy. I hooked a gauge to it > today. It never dropped below 70psi right from the start. I've been told > its the warm up or control pressure regulator. I guy at the GM shop I work > at said its the injectors. (He's an old Saab tech and said Saab and VW used > same injection system, he also said injectors where Saabs big problem when > they were cold and ran crappy.) I'm at my wits end. HELP. I can't afford > to buy more parts just to have them not completely cure them problem. At > first I thought this problem was because of something I did during the > refitfrom the rabbit. I have checked and triple checked everything > associated with fitting the FI from the rabbit and it checks out OK. > Please help me. Thanks for your help. I think in the future when money > allows I'm going Digijet(?) Injection from an 88 or newer Golf or Jetta. > Looks like alot less parts and wires. Probably cost twice as much to fix.=) > E-mail me or post a reponce to the list. Thanks. By the way the > convertion from diesel was fairly easy, if anyone want to know E-mail me. > > Keep on Busin' -Jim D Jim,

I've got an 82 Scirocco w/ CIS - it showed similar symptoms, and the PO had already replaced the warmup reg., so I tried the injector O-rings - it's been running great ever since! Cheapest fix ever - about $3 ! The injectors are hard to get out - I clamped carefully with pliers & pried *straight* out. The O rings become brittle from the heat after a while & no longer seal well.

PS: I'd be very interested in some info on your conversion also.

Shawn *--------------------------------* | Shawn Wright, Network Analyst | | St. Michaels University School | | 3400 Richmond Rd, Victoria, BC | | Canada V8P 4P5 | | (604) 592-2411 Fax: 592-2812 | | swright@smus.bc.ca | *--------------------------------* I haven't lost my mind; I'm sure it's backed up on tape somewhere!