Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 96 18:17:30 EST
From:         stermecz@colybrand.com (Steve Termecz -- Admin. - San Francisco )
Subject:      cold start problem

To: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Inet

Hello all,

I am new to the list, and have a question regarding a cold start problem I just started having. I am the proud owner of an 82 westie which I purchased about a month ago. It had been running fine since I bought it, but last week I started using the alarm system, and apparently it was constantly going off and drained the battery. (I think it needs some adjusting) . Anyway, I tried to push start it but could not get it started. So I inlisted the help of a friend with jumper cables to help me. It cranked over fine, but would not start ultil I matted the gas pedal. When it finally started, it ran pretty rough, and I saw some grey smoke from the exaust, After a few seconds it ran fine, as if nothing ever happened. The following day I tried starting it , and again the same thing happened I had to mat it to get it started, but when it is warm it will start with no problem. So I changed the spark plugs, and it was fine for about three days, but now it seems to be doing the same thing again. I live in the bay area, so I don't think it is temp related. Any Ideas? Thanks Stephen Termecz

P.S. I am new to the area, does anyone know a good mechanic near San Rafael?