Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 1996 20:50:57 -0500 (EST)
From:         ringo@spike.aerodyne.com (Chris Getschow)
Subject:      FS (soon): '85 Vanagon 'GL :{(

Vanagoners -

It pains me to do this, but I don't see any way out of it. Due to my wife's impending USAF assignment to Okinawa in June '96, I am forced to part with my beloved '85 Vanagon GL. US Air Force policy is to provide for long-term storage of household goods for personnel assigned overseas, but that does not include vehicles. We have two, and provisions for storing one ('88 Jeep Cherokee). Practicality wins over sentimentality.. this time.

Anyhow, this is a prime opportunity for you New England wannabusers. I bought this Vanagon 2.5 years ago from Minuteman VW in Bedford, MA and paid too much for it because their sales people are sleazy-slick and I'm not. I didn't get suckered too badly though, because they fixed everything that was broken and it's lasted me this far. I was warned about the leaky-head problem but pooh-poohed it -- I was in *love*. So now the heads leak, but I just keep adding anti-freeze and bleeding the thing -- it runs fine and doesn't overheat.

The past ownership records for the bus show that it lived its first 60k miles in Florida, then it came up to New England. It's now up to 91k and the body is in *great* shape. There is *no* rot anywhere, and the only evidence of rust is minor surface stuff in the body seams that you could either live with or easily correct. The interior is pretty good too; no rips and moderate wear that comes with being part of the family. And it has the bonus of my 5-year-old's artwork on the back seat upholstery -- she'll be famous someday so you'll want to save it...

In the course of troubleshooting cold starting problems I have replaced the entire ignition system, the fuel pump and fuel filter, and also the battery within the last year. The final fix was replacing the fuel pressure regulator. The bus now starts and idles without stalling, even in single-digit temperatures! The only real faults are flaky turn signals and an exhaust leak at the left (Left is Left, Front is Front) top exhaust pipe where it comes out of the head, just past the flange.

I bought it primarily because my '78 breadloaf was rotting out from under me (the front axle beam was about to detach) and because I was sick of freezing my feet in the winter. I wasn't about to give up driving a bus though. This one will last for a good long while, and it puts out beautiful heat in the winter - it's been great these last couple months.

This is not a Westy or anything wonderful like that, just a 7-passenger people mover with lots o' heart. If you're interested then let me know. I won't let it go before the summer, though.

-cg

---- Chris Getschow (ringo@spike.aerodyne.com, getschow@an.hp.com) '85 Vanagon GL