Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 1996 20:10:16 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Cookies, locks,

Has anyone here removed/replaced the ignition lock (the part the key fits) on a 1968-1970 bay-window? The Bentley manual says that the lock and the housing/thing that holds the steering column have to be changed at the same time. They say that the lock can only be removed from 1971 and later, and the disassembly procedure looks lengthly.

Little Martha (70 single cab) came with no keys... so far I've got keylocks for the under-bed cargo compartments, thanks to Brian Verbeek. They're installed and work just fine. I paid big bucks to RMMW for a a German ignition lock with a key pattern that's different from the belly door locks, and Brazilian door locks with a third key pattern...

The passenger's side door handle/lock can be locked from the outside but not successfully unlocked! So I haven't changed the driver's side door from the original part, for which I have no key.

This is a really stupid story, isn't it?

Well, good weather this weekend and hopefully I'll fix the door lock situation. Maybe the local locksmith can make me a key for the driver's side, that will turn out to match the key blank for either the belly doors OR the ignition switch... gee, maybe a key for the original door lock would OPERATE the original ignition switch... too much to hope? I'll try tomorrow anyway.

I'm so fed up with the problem and not having time to work on it that I'm tempted to just buy a Truck Club steering wheel device and not worry about door or ignition locks. At that point, my only fear is that some thoughtful person will see my doors are unlocked, lock them for me and then I'll have to break a window!

Oh yes, that cookie recipe- I've seen the same story told as the Mrs. Field's Cookies recipe, distributed via FAX 10 years ago. Its an urban legend in at least one form, but interestingly, the price of the recipe is always $250. Grain of truth or the plausible detail that makes it work?

Ain't life grand?