Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         5 Jan 1996 20:19:28 U
From:         "Steve Hoge" <steve_hoge@qmmac.emu.com>
Subject:      Same Syncro Boots? NO! (and

Subject: Time:7:49 PM OFFICE MEMO Same Syncro Boots? NO! (and $$'s) Date:1/5/96

Thanks to all who responded to my query yesterday as to whether the front outside CV boots on a Syncro are *actually* different from the rear, and the answer is definitely yes, the reason being that the boots must accomodate a wider range of angular motion as the steering gear changes the direction of the front wheels.

The long version: Not only are the fronts different than the rears, but 1989 (my year) was a split year: according to at least one parts microfiche, chassis after 119057 have a different enough front CV joint that the boot was changed - who knows how much, but enough to make the boots incompatible.

The prices I got on boots varied widely, and in curious ways (none include tax or shipping, and I verified that the VW part#251 498 203 A for the old-style was the same for all):

Bus Boys listed the old-style outside boot at $30, new-style at $55! (and out of stock as well.)

Paul Walser VW in Phoenix quoted me a price of about $50 for the old-style (*after* our vanagon@lenti discount) and, strangely, said that the inner front boot was about $80! (I thought the inner front boot and all the rears were identical...). No quote on the new-style.

Marin Motorsports quoted me $20 for the old-style boot. No quote on new-style.

My trusty local FLAPs/mechanics, who are going to do the replacement for me, will charge me $25 for the old-style boot - and said the new-style one would have been the same price! Plus, they had both in stock (they probably started rubbing their hands together and ordering all the other exotic, expensive Syncro parts when they heard I'd bought one.)

So go figure. BTW, the guy I talked to at Paul Walser was very helpful, and apologetic that their prices weren't really competitive. He thought the explanation might be that, as a dealer, they get their parts directly from VWOA (who got them from VWAG, who got them from the original manufacturer) whereas the cheaper parts might be direct from the manufacturer to the FLAPS retailers. Sounds plausible to me - what do you think?

Anyway, if any of you other Syncronauts have an explanation for the change in the design I'd like to hear about it. Unfortunately, the one fiche page I have for Syncro parts is too early to indicate this change to the front CV joint (and alot of others as well, eg, the air intake filter/snorkel assembly in my engine compartment doesn't even remotely match the one on the microfiche. That's why I'm hot for that CD-ROM!)

The short version: those of you out there with '86-early '89 Syncros, don't pay more than $25 for new boots!

Steve Hoge '77 AutoLoaf '89 Syncro GL