Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jan 1996 13:38:01 -0500
From:         limbo@bcn.net (Jim Digennaro)
Subject:      Re: Drain plug problems

>4) something else I haven't thought of. > >Solutions: >I'm going to reinstall the plug bolt using a nylon washer, which should >form a better seal than the copper ones that VW has been giving me. The >washer is made for this kind of application, so it should be OK. >If it still doesn't work, I have a rubber expansion bolt as Bob described >in his sermonette (thank you Bob!). I hate to use a solution like that (it >_seems_ like such a temporary measure), but it'll do until I find a better >solution. > >Possible original causes of my problem (what did I do wrong): >1) I don't think I used too much torque on the bolt during my oil changes, >but since I haven't used torque wrenches to tighten this bolt, I can't >really claim any exact torque figures. I tend to use a six inch socket >wrench and hold it close to the neck. I'd say I tightened it to 15-18 ft. >lbs. at most, but that guesstimate's worth zip in the absence of an actual >measurement. >2) (this is the biggie) You may gasp in horror at my stupidity, but I'd >always been taught to warm up the engine a little to get any gunk up into >the oil (so it drains out with the oil). I'd always wondered about this, >but it always worked. However, warming up an aluminum engine and then >pulling a bolt out of a warm crankcase may win me new honors in the >"no-brainer" department--literally. This theory may be supported by the >fact that the bolt stripped coming out of the case--not going back in. >3) I've been using new copper washers, but Bob's sermonette reminded me of >the old crushable washers I used to use on my 412's (Type IV engines in >Type IV bodies--what a concept). Maybe these washers contributed to my >problem, although they are what's sold at the dealer. I haven't seen the >crushable kind for years around here. > >Hmmmm. >Hope this helps someone on the road to a similar mistake, > >Dave > >===================================== >dlm202@psu.edu >Dave Mancuso > >'87 Vanagon (Kalypso) >'89 Jetta > > > >------------------------------ Hi Dave, I wanted to add my 2 cents about you drain plug problems. First Don't use two copper gaskets. It defeats to gaskets purpose for sealing properly. I have to agree with Jack Reed as far as warming the engine. It does supended the contaninates in the oil so they can be drained out. Plus Jack makes a good point about heili coils. Makes new steal threads that are left in the case so you shouldn't have that problem again. I work in a GM dearlership and Most of my duties include oil changes.

To everyone else: Becareful on those type 4 motors. If you decide to change the pick-up screen, don't over tighten the bolt that holds the plate in place. If you do you'll break the case where the bolt threads in and you'll need expensive engine work.=(

Keep on Busin' -Jim D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ James Digennaro The Late Model Bus Organization,International Advertising and Promotions Director, Official On-line Represenative. 20 First St Adams, MA. 01220 82 Westfalia 'GTI' E-Mail limbo@bcn.net

Volkswagen Disc Jockey, Have VW will travel.'I DJ most shows in the Northeast' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --