Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jan 1996 21:29:30 -0500
From:         Remuse@aol.com
Subject:      Vanagon Heat

Today we picked up the 81 Westy after 5 weeks and $2,200 worth of revamped auto trans and motor. Runs absolutely beautifully-all the sins of po's undone.

Included in all that was new heater boxes and related paraphenalia to keep things warm. The ride back was about 30 miles and mostly done at 55 to 60 mph . The weather is wet and cold , in the 30's. I am new to this bus thing but I know enough to have very low expectations in the area of heat. I also know, but do not understand, that the blower only operates on fresh air and not the heat and therefore you have to keep moving to keep warm. Anyway, during the ride there was nothing that I would ordinarily describe as heated air flow The air was clearly warmer than the outside air but more like room temperature. There was also a little bit of odor but not too much. As I pulled into the drive I was thinking that mama really wasn't going to go for this at all. Then I shut it off and was headed for the house when I turned to get something I had forgotten. The thing was filled with smoke pouring out of the dash defrost vents!!!

It quit after a few minutes and I aired it out; it was more of an overheated rather than a burning smell. In later short trips, there was no further smoking nor was the heat situation any different.

Several questions: What level of heating should I expect in a proper system? I guess that the smoke was new metal lacquer burn-off; is that reasonable? Isn't the smoke visible proof that the heater tubes are in good shape? Even at full speed,the air flow was more like seeping. Shoud it resemble the force of the fresh air which is quite strong?

I've got to go back to my german guru mechanic later this week to pick up another car and will of course discuss this with him then. In the meanwhile, I'll feel a lot better if someone tells me that I've got a lot more to look forward to than this

Thanks, Weston 81Westy "Too cool.."