Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jan 1996 21:58:11 -0500
From:         limbo@bcn.net (Jim Digennaro)
Subject:      Re: Change the sssstats Joel.

>It must be diesel week at the Munro household. > Then last night my wife found an >ad in the local Nickel Ads for an '82 Vanagon Diesel that needed a clutch. $750 > >We went and checked it out today. The body is straight, the interior is >perfect. Starts and runs just fine. It's currently owned by a pastor who >has lots of receipts, an extra injector pump, an extra head, and some VW >tools. I asked lots of questions and he wasn't struck my lightening during >the conversation. It was rebuilt by a very competent local shop 30,000 >miles ago. > >While I need a diesel Vanagon like I need a size 11 boot up my butt, these >vehicles are the easiest of all to put a non-wasserboxer motor in. I plan >on putting a gasoline Jetta/Rabbit motor in it. I will keep anyone posted >who is curious on how it goes. > >In the process of checking out alternate motors for our '79 Westy, I had >determined that the Rabbit/Jetta motor would be a great choice (after >wearing out two Rabbits, I'm convinced there is no engine with more zippy >miles per dollar than a Rabbit motor. They are cheap, and plentiful. >---------------------------------------------------------------- >Alex Munro >amunro@amunro.seanet.com > > > >My other Sig is a P220 Hi Alex, Sounds like you got yourself a great deal. I have a diesel Westy myself. When I bought it the motor was spent so I did the Rabbit convertion myself. I'll tell you now if the diesel running good, keep it for now. It may be slow but its simple, reliable and great 30mpg no matter how hard you drive it. The convertion is as simple as changing the motor. Its the fuel Injection thats gets to be a problem. Just about any in-line VW motor will fit you Vanagon. Write me if you need help. If you do decide to do the convertion, Use a motor out of a newer VW, 88 and newer. The FI is accually easier to work with. Its very similar to Watercooled Vanagons. I think they are easier to work on anyway. Right now I've got an 83 GTI motor installed with the stock CIS injection and I'm having problems with it. I thinking of going back to a diesel motor. But I want one from a Golf or Jetta Turbo diesel. Same HP as gas with MPG like diesel.Good luck!

Keep on Busin' -Jim D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ James Digennaro The Late Model Bus Organization,International Advertising and Promotions Director, Official On-line Represenative. 20 First St Adams, MA. 01220 82 Westfalia 'GTI' E-Mail limbo@bcn.net

Volkswagen Disc Jockey, Have VW will travel.'I DJ most shows in the Northeast' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --