Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 1996 04:09:53 -0500
From:         JonahGold@aol.com
Subject:      HELP!-Stranded in Nashville

Whoa boy....where to begin.

Let me save the 5 page ongoing saga/story of my previous 3 weeks' road trip from NYC via NC, AL to Dallas, TX (including a most pleasant visit with the infamous possum chaser himself! in AL), and get right to the point:

Background: (for those who may remember a few months ago) I bought an '87 syncro westy up in nyc w/ 86K miles. It drove great, and not until I hit mid 93K Friday did I begin to notice anything serious. Started with an acceleration problem. Could no longer hit 80mph on freeway, then 70, then 60, over the course of a couple of hours/gas tank refills. Too noticeable to be the windy weather.

Took it into a local repair shop in Jackson, TN. New fuel filter didn't do it, but it appeared the 'honeycomb' inside the catalytic converter had been all chewed up and was stuck/sucked into the rear end of it. Midas muffler down road replaced it, and said the O2 sensor was slightly damaged and needed replacing 'as soon as reasonably able'. Upon leaving to try and make it to Nashville for the night, the engine was getting worse. Backfires, less acceleration up hills, now peaking at 40-50mph. Over next 2-3 hours and 100 miles, worse and worse. At times doing 15-20 on shoulder of freeway with hazards on trying to get to Nashville. A few lucky strokes of straight shooting back up at 75mph, but upon stopping for fuel, forget it. Continual restarting from 0 to get all the way to town (lord knows how) in weirdest of ways I've ever driven any vehicle.

Next day (saturday, with limited shop availability), finally found a diagnostic shop who said it's a malfunctioning MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR. Was told it's an expensive part, maybe $200-400 used/new? Have to wait till Mon. am to find the part locally.

So, stranded in a hotel barely able to get the van to move more than a 1/2 block at a time in 1st gear, 2nd or 3rd if I'm really lucky, my emergency questions are the following:

1. anyone know a trustworthy mechanic in downtown Nashville I should use, or pick closest reputable import auto shop? (dealer is few miles from here -- too far for comfort).

2. Should i trust a used vs. new air sensor? How much should it cost? Labor?

3. Is it possible it's NOT the sensor causing such problems? (Guy in last shop said when it's disconnected it should shut down engine, but in my case it doesn't, ie = malfunction.)

any help greatly appreciated... (thank god for mobile computing!) --Jonah '87 syncro 'mesty'

(and here I was all prepared to go 'dashing through the snow', syncro style, on way back to nyc this blizzarded weekend... :-(