Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 1996 09:12:40 PDT
From:         "Shawn Wright, SMUS Network Analyst" <swright@smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      Looking for 80-83 Westy in BC

After much consideration, I have now (almost) decided that I want an aircooled Westy, mainly because of lower initial price, and the fear_of_expensive_head_and_or_gasket_failure_syndrome which appears to go along with owning a newer (and nicer) Westy. I know, I know - many of you have 150-200K on your wasserboxers without trouble, but the truth is, spending $10-14K would be stretching my budget so I could not risk expensive repairs.

So.... I am now looking for an 80-83 a/c Westy, 4 speed, in the $6000 price range. Most important feature is a good body, as I detest rust repairs, and plan to keep this vehicle for a long time.

(Ultimately, I am still seeking a diesel Westy to convert to an inline 4, but have realized that my chances of finding one at a decent price are near zero....)

One question still lingers, and may be answered when I do drive one, is: Do they have HEAT?! By this I mean enough heat to drive it in say 0 to -10 C without getting numb feet? I've heard that newer vans are much better for heat, but my experience with a/c VWs is limited to a '69 bus which was well, COLD. (until it burnt up, that is....)

Thanks for any advice, and please pass on any Westy sightings under, say $10K...

Shawn '85 Jetta TD Wannabus

*--------------------------------* | Shawn Wright, Network Analyst | | St. Michaels University School | | 3400 Richmond Rd, Victoria, BC | | Canada V8P 4P5 | | (604) 592-2411 Fax: 592-2812 | | swright@smus.bc.ca | *--------------------------------* I haven't lost my mind; I'm sure it's backed up on tape somewhere!