Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 02 Jan 96 16:59:42 EST
From:         Poor Richard <rapalmer@unity.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      Help me find a RUST-FREE split camper

Howdy all. In addition to looking into stickers over the vacation, I had to (with LOTS of help) do some pretty creative welding on my trusty '67 to repair some rust problems with the gear shift lever. Although my bus runs well, and has the best personality and "car-ma" possible, her early life in New Jersey has taken its toll. Of course the floors and rockers are gone, but the frame has some pretty bad damage, and very recently I noticed that the driver's seat will soon be resting on the tire. The falling aparft of the whole shift-lever-bracket-brace-assembly has shown me that no matter how much I love my bus, at some point I must find another. As this is a painful process, (I am far too sentimental), I want to find one of those glorious treasures- a bus with NO Rust, so I can use it until I have children, and let them enjoy it. These are pretty much the qualities I want: '57-'67 camper (Westfalia or Dormobile) Pop-top (or submarine hatch, according to year) NO RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (some surface rust is ok, like on the roof, but the floors/rockers/etc must be rock solid Some dents/dings are ok. I want to use this bus, not put it in a museum, so scratches and such are ok. 12 Volt would be nice Good transaxle would be nice

Basically I want a good camper that I can use everyday. Because of such use, a later (as in '64-'67) might be better, because if I had an older one, I would be kind of scared to use it. I plan to love it and take good care of it, but I don't want one too perfect to drive. Mechanical condition is not as important, since I'll be fixing it up myself. Price - I can't really afford a multi-thousand dollar bus. I would probably rather find one to fix up, just because it would cost less. Also, I can pay more for a bus that I have to travel less to get. (I'm in NC) Anyway, I just want a good, solid bus to drive. I would never chop it, mutilate it, or do anything to disgrace it. So, if anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it, and if I do end up making stickers, I'll send you some. Many thanks, Richard