Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jan 1996 18:52:03 -0500
From:         "Morris H. Arthur" <marthur@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Subject:      2 weeks in my VW ski chalet (Heat while parked.)

After installing a vented propane heater in my '77 Camper, Idecided to put it to the test: 2 weeks of snowboarding and backcountry skiing in Utah, Idaho and Montana.

The heater (Force 10, 5000 BTU obtained from West Marine) worked fairly well under normal conditions, but gave me problems when I needed it most. The heater is outfitted with an oxygen depletion device that turns off the unit when oxygen levels "drop to 95% of normal conditions". At 9000 ft. above sea level and -15 degrees F. (Galena Pass near Sun Valley, Idaho), the heater would turn itself off. I had installed ventilation fans in the rear vents that originally were menat for heater ducts, but they weren't sufficient under these conditions. Brrrrrr. The most aggravating result of winter camping was the interior condensation on the windows. 1-2 mm of ice on the interior every morning!!!!

Conclusion: If you want serious heat while parked, get a Suburban furnace (Camping World ~$500) and make sure you have a well charged 2nd battery. My heater is a good low tech alternative if you're going to be away from civilization. (~$300, no battery draw). The easisest and most effective alternative is to stay at an RV Park and run an electric heater. ($30, plus $15/night), but this won't work on cold evenings at a trailhead...

Note on heater safety: my CO detector triggered 3-4 times; always due to idling of the engine in the morning....(don't sleep in your car with the engine running :)

--------------------------------------- Morris Arthur < morris_arthur@unc.edu > Environmental Sciences and Engineering University of North Carolina ---------------------------------------