Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:31:34 -0500
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: '85 engine replacement

In a message dated 96-02-01 02:30:25 EST, jonww@ix.netcom.com (Jon Walton) writes:

>After 170,000 miles it is now time to replace the liquid puncher. I >have been quoted about $2350 for a factory 1.9 longblock. It seems that >installation can run up to $1200. This seems sort of high for the >installation labor. (of course this is dealer labor rates.) What is a >reasonable cost for replacement?? Question #2:Can a 2.1 be substituted, >or were there too many changes in '86. Thanks for any input.

I would stronly recomend a 2.1. If buying a long block, it is a direct fit and your FI will support it. I've done this many times. I would look to find a good used one complete with the exhaust. The cooling system in the Van can be upgraded to the later style if you have all the pieces. The later system works better due to some flow improvements. Less susceptible to air in the syetm, easier to bleed. E-mail me if you need any frther info. I can also help you get an engine.