Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Feb 96 19:01:44 EST
From:         Crazed Idiot <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      bus-buying questions-please answer

Hey all, OK, the time is getting close at hand. I will likely be purchasing a 1978 VW bus within the next couple of weeks, maybe sooner (unless I get information about a certain other bus soon...). At any rate, this bus has some minor problems and I would like group input to make sure that if they turn out to be major problems, they don't cost me too much.

Here's the situation: 1978 non-westy bus, air conditioning, heat works, no rust underneath, minor surface rust on body, one teensy-weensy rust hole in back, behind bumper (bondo patchable). Has 160,000 miles, clutch is good, transmission is good, differential is good, engine feels strong, starts right away, has fuel injection.

Here's where you come in:

To get rid of the surface rust which is basically on the lower body, I plan to have the lower part of the bus sanded down to bare steel, primered, and painted. How much do you think this would run? I'm guessing around $500 but maybe less 'cause it's just half the bus but maybe more cause I don't know. Help. Also, how much does a clearcoat generally add to the price?

Speedometer. It currently doesn't work. I'm thinking that the cable has simply worked itself out of the hub, but if it's more serious, such as a broken cable or a busted speedo, how much to replace? Can I probably find these parts in a junkyard?

Wipers. I've asked about this before, where there is no difference between low and high speed. Some say switch, some say motor. I guess electrical testing will reveal the culprit. Assuming switch, how much? Assuming motor, how much? Junkyard?

Apparently the hazard flasher switch is the culprit in this bus's electrical goofiness, as when you wiggle it a bit, the problem goes away. How much for hazard switch? Junkyard? I can probably live with this one.

This thing has A/C which the owner claims works. I will test before buying, but he says there's a special tube needed to have both A/C and heat hooked up at same time. I'm not real clear on what he means, but I'll ask him next time I'm there. Any air condition bus owners out there know what I'm talking about? If this tube exists, how hard is it to get a replacement (he says the one he has is trashed).

Right sun visor. It needs one. Are the A/C right sun visors the same size as the regular ones? If so, I guess it will be pretty easy to obtain one. Also are they all the same size for different years?

Big chrome VW for front. Also needs one. How hard are these to get and how much? Probably can find these at VW shows.

The blue fresh air lever. Currently, the knobby tip thing is broken off. I can see from looking at Bentley that that seems pretty easy to replace and can probably find one in a junkyard. Right? Also, the fresh air lever is out of adjustment. When all the way up, it should be closed completely and when all the way down it should be open completely. Well, it only goes down about half way, so I'm assuming that when it's up it's not closed all the way. I know that the thing is adjustable. How hard is it to get to?

That's about it. If I discover any more problems, I'll let you know. I'd really appreciate any and all responses as this is a big thing for me.....

Thanks, Sean

Maybe almost gottabus