Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         2 Feb 96 20:27:00 +1800
From:         GOLDBERG_DAVID@mpd.tandem.com
Subject:      re: bus-buying questions-please answer

Sean wrote:

>This thing has A/C which the owner claims works. I will test >before buying, but he says there's a special tube needed to have >both A/C and heat hooked up at same time. I'm not real clear on >what he means, but I'll ask him next time I'm there. Any air >condition bus owners out there know what I'm talking about? If >this tube exists, how hard is it to get a replacement (he says >the one he has is trashed). My '79 had airconditioning, the AC unit ran from the compressor to a condensor under the bus to 2 blowers in front of each front seat. Everything was separate from the heating system. There is a sticker on the rear of the bus that says DPD Airconditioning. If yours is the same, you should have 2 separate systems (heat/AC) if it different sorry for the wasted bandwidth. BTW, I have disconnected the AC, and will be removing all of the components except the blowers. The PO had a line break, and all the freon exited the system, and thus the compressor died, as well as other pieces that rely on the freon. Too much cost for me to refurbish the system, for too little reward. IMHO of course.

>Big chrome VW for front. Also needs one. How hard are these to >get and how much? Probably can find these at VW shows.

Austin VeeDub has them for late model busses(baywindows), and I believe early busses(splits). I paid $15 for mine, I don't have their number handy, but they do have an 800 # if you are outside of the Austin, Tx area. These are used of course. You can call 800-555-1212 to get their number.

Now I have a question:

I am going to get a spare tire mount for the front of my bus. What I would like to do is get one of those plastic(fiberglass?) covers to mount my VW logo on. The only thing is I have never looked at one of these covers in any detail. Would these work, or do they have a special mounting bracket that would not work on VW busses? Enquiring minds want to know

With all of the VW's here in Austin, I expected to see at least one that did not like the sudden change in weather, but as is the norm, no VWs were abandonded on the side of the road. Mine turned over only 3 times before it caught.

Cheers (from frigid Texas - today's high was a tropical 25*f)

David 74 Thing (yeah, like I am going to drive this car today) 79 Westy (with frosty intake runners - God I love Weber Carbs!)