Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Feb 1996 20:43:39 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Air Flow Meter /part 2

Just thought i would report on the status of my dinking around with the AFM on my '87...

The van continues to run nicely. It must have been the dirty contactor in the AFM that was causing my gremlins. and now, for the rest of the story...

I had tightened the tension on the spring acting on the air vane. This has the effect of leaning out the basic setting because with more spring tension, there is less air vane movement. It works dramatically and should not be indescriminately fooled with. A long (in terms of email volume) time ago, i had posted a 'wasserboxer tune- up report' that detailed a lingering problem my tune-up did not solve. Namely, a rough idle on initial start-up but only lasting a minute or two. Paying attention to this miss, i felt it was caused by over-rich mixture due to the black soot specks left on the snow. With the 'leaned out' AFM, this miss is nearly gone. in fact it just seems like a few sputters associated with starting any motor at -20F.

Here's my Theory..... (why do i feel the need to explain these gifts from the gods?)

On start up, a cold engine is regulated by a prescribed set of fuel and ignition patterns programmed into the ECU given specific inputs from the coolant sensor, the air temp sensor, and the air flow meter. There is no feedback from the O2 sensor until it reaches its critical temp of about 600F. This is called open loop mode and only lasts for a minute or two until things heat up. If the AFM is sending a signal saying the air vane is moved X amount, it dumps that amount of fuel in. AFM set rich = rich running until the O2 sensor heats up enough to wake up and tell the ECU to lean things out. Make sense?

Remember that Gary Larson cartoon where the mathematician is deriving this huge equation on the black board and then writes "Then a miracle occurs." and finishes the derivation? That's how i'm begining to feel about electronic engine controls. We work with a known and measureable set of constructs; the various sensor inputs, grounds, wiring, and controlled devices. All well defined and operate in a predictable fashion allowing successful troubleshooting if we are knowledgeable (and damn lucky sometimes). But then a miracle occurs. The ECU. The bugger literally comes in a black box and by its very nature of being unknown, offers a degree of randomness that undermines my confidence. It is always suspect... what if it has a glitch in it? a bad solder joint. a demon to be exorcised. its presence erodes the soul.

When the Big One goes off because some syphillitic third-world leader pushed a mushroom-cloud shaped button, few things in our modern world will be left functional. Nearly everything has a tiny, fragile, utterly mysterious little black IC chip in it that will crackle like fresh Rice Crispies. We'll be left in a world with cock roaches pre-electronic ignition busses. Unfortunately, my roto-tiller will be the only thing *i* have left working....

-dan (who perhaps shouldn't have had that last glass of wine)