Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Feb 1996 09:49:31 -0600 (CST)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      CVjoints, Parts Place

As I had mentioned a few weeks ago, I was surprised when Parts Place added a core charge to their sale of a used part. So I wrote them a letter explaining my predicament and, again to my surprise, just received a explanation that I found both well-written and customer friendly --well, you be the judge--. Since some of you wanted to know their reply, I'm forwarding both letters. --Sami

MY LETTER:

Dear Parts Place:

This inquiry is in reference to invoice # <>.

I recently called to order a remanufactured driveshaft for a 75 bus, but unfortunately you did not have them in stock and suggested they may no longer be available. So I purchased a used unit instead.

Looking back at your catalog (Catalog S, 1995-96), I realize that the remanufactured unit (211-598-001 BUS REM, page S-83) is listed at $99.95, which is actually less than the $100 you charged for the used one. I'm sure this must have been an error and I would appreciate a rectification.

You also added a $20 core charge, which raises two questions: (1) Local "junkyards" and recyclers have never added a core charge to their sales, so why would you? (2) If the unit is no longer remanufactured, why would you even need me to return a core?

Unsure myself, I have asked the same questions to the "vanagon" internet mailing list, whose 560 members are now also anxiously waiting for your reply.

Sincerely,

Sami Dakhlia

AND THEIR REPLY:

Dear Mr. Dakhlia,

I am responding to your letter dated 1/24/96. I apologize for the delay in response.

We, Parts Place, also apologize for any confusion that has occurred. I have enclosed some documents, and the text of this letter should explain. [The document is a copy of page 9 of their catalog, with the quote: "prices are subject to change. The prices are current for 3/10/95. Today's prices might be different. We generally are far less than the dealer."]

As stated on page 9 (copy enclosed, highlighted) our prices go up and down. Unfortunately, because of inflation, they're usually going up. I'm sure you know that it's becoming more and more difficult to find parts for your bus. We run into the same problem. Without good rebuildable cores in stock, we cannot always offer remanufactured axles, and this forces us to have to buy recycled axles from outside sources. Buying them this way can cause the price to flux. Also the price of reman shafts was raised a couple of months ago to $125.00/$20.00 core, thus increasing the price of recycled.

The core charge on used axles is $20.00 each. I have just explained somewhat, but this is an industry standard with retailers. We are not a "junkyard", nor do we operate like one. Cores are valuable and used for remanufacturing. Because of the lack of them is why we offered you a recycled shaft.

With use of cores, we can hopefully keep prices down. Selling outright would completely delete any chances of making rebuilt axles.

I hope I have explained well enough. Again, we're sorry if we added any confusion to your order. we look forward to your business in the future, and if there is anything you need help with contact me directly.

Thanks for your understanding patience.

Sincerely,

Charlie Brown Operations Manager