Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 96 01:42 EST
From:         raulb@iglou.com (Raul Barreras)
Subject:      Parts '82 Westfalia (a.k.a. Wilma, as in Flintstones)

...and don't call me a "lurker" anymore, thank you!

Now, to the point. Finding parts for baby blue Wilma (not condidering the VW dealerships) is very difficult in my area (Northern Kentucky). When looking for parts, which is extremely seldom, I am always referred to one junkyard which, BTW, is the only one that keeps VW parts available but never Vanagon parts. Needless to say, parts at this junkyard are almost as costly as the dealers. So, I'm asking for help in the form of alternate places that sell general parts for the Vanagon/camper. Wilma has an automatic transmission.

Due to the lack of a Westy Manual, I have no part numbers or names. At this point, parts needed are:

1. steering wheel horn cover (part that is pushed to make horn sound) brown. 2. air intake grill (black) 3. ventilation system: big cover underneath and center of the dashboard (contains a couple of vents for heat. One on driver's side and one on passenger's side). 4. cover to the outside 3 prong source of electricity (outside panel of driver's side which has 3 covers; two for water sources, 1 for electrical source). 5. driver's side turn signal light assembly (whole, turn and parking light) 6. source for curtains and plastic curtain holders (plastic with snaps that hold them in place). 7. wiper assembly (outside) plastic round bolt cover.

Questions:

1. Rear bumper bent on top (like waves). Not bad. Repair? Rechrome? Buy new? Where? Need plastic/rubber ends as well. 2. Saw a message about catalytic heater for aircooled, is it available for the Vanagon (1982)? 3. Where should I take it to inspect/repair/replace parts for the camper options (propane tank, fridge, stove)? Camper dealer? Winnebago dealer? 4. On the 1982, what company put the above camper options? 5. Besides at the dealers, where may I get parts for the exhaust systems, mainly, tail pipe? Have one made? Is this possible or just get new and get skinned royally by dealer? 6. Pressed the odometer button: odometer stopped working as well as speedometer (the miles counter on both). Speedo works (mph), just both counters stopped/froze. Can I open the assembly? Buy another one? 7. There is a channel on the outside which is, apparently, for a tent/awning? True/false? If true, source of tent/awning?

Comments:

I am the third owner of the vehicle. Never have had a problem with the auto transmission. Use 185/75R14 Sears Roadhandler M+S by Michelin, no problems. Triple Edge wiper blades are no better than originals. After heavy gasoline fumes inside vehicle, discovered a rusted gas tank. Welded it shut, no problems now.

Caution:

Vehicle looses power, stutters, is not the lack of oil or anything else that you might imagine, check the catalytic converter. Avoid $2100 in engine repairs. Learned the hard way. Won't happen again!

TIA.

Wilma and Raul