Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 1996 10:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:         Scott Beckstead <sbeckst@dpc.com>
Subject:      Head replacement and stupidity

I have just been through a head replacement on my '69 and it was kind of interesting. I had this problem with #2 cylinder, it would eject it's plug at random intervals. I adjusted the valves and thought I had it fixed but the last time it took some threads with it. Apparently the head was a rebuild and the threads were worn down and not helicoiled. Ok, so i say I'll replace the head as soon as I can and we drive the wifes car in the mean time. Worked it out so I had a ride to work while I fixed the bus. looked at getting a head and a friend here at work suggested I just shoot in a helicoil. Ok no problem. I do it and it work for a couple of hours then blammo out comes the plug and the spark plug wire is melted. Try another plug, no joy. Ok so now I really have to replace the head. Decide to do it on a sunday (only day I had as we had rehearsals for a play, preparation for a Science Fiction convention and Cub Scouts and karate to worry about. Try to get a head on saturday but every body closes before I can get there. Then the Transmission on my wifes car gives up the ghost. Now I HAVE to get it done or we have NO working vehicle. Didn't get it done on a sunday because by the time I find a place with a much too expensive head and get it and get back it's almost dark. I do manage to get the engine out of the bus. Struggle through another hectic week and finaly get to it this weekend. No problem, IU have most of the stuff I need just gotta get some more oil and a new filter. The rain is coming down pretty good now so I build a tent over the bus outside my garage (bus won't fit inside and the tranny is on a jack so it can't be rolled anyway. I try to remove the old head, the push rod tubes are stuck tight and I can't loosen them without destroying them. I had planned to re-use them. Crap gotta find somebody open at 2:00pm saturday (everyone I KNOW has them closed at 1:00pm) so I start calling. Find a place and have the roommate run me over there. Place called Import Car Parts in Thousand Oaks Ca. They have that and a whole lot more. I get the tubes but he doesn't have the seals. He drags out a gasket kit to dig them out of there. I say hey I need one of those so I buy the whole kit cost me 8 bucks, total parts 18 bucks. get back and start back to work. I've gotten the new head on and I'm ready to start torqueing down the head nuts and I drop one. (Note one for the stupid files) It rolls right down the stupidly left open pushrod tube and drops into the crankcase ( THe engine is propped on #3&4 cylinders) kerplunk. Ok so now I have to run out and get one of those magnet things to get it out. Do that and buy another nut just in case I never find the old one (shudder..where would it end up?) can't find anything remotely like the head nut but I get a close substitute. get back and recover the lost head nut. Stuff ALL the openings with rags this time and go back to work. Took me the rest of that day to get the head on and the vavles adjusted. Sunday morning I start bright and early at about 11:30 am. I realize that I'm about to attempt to install the engine alone (everybody else is gone) and I've never done it with help before. Well thanks to St. Muir everything goes real smooth and it take me all of 10 minutes to re-install the engine in the bus. The next four and a half hours are putting all the silly little pieces back on the rear of the bus. The hardest thing is the heater boxes. Next time I put the heater boxes on BEFORE I install the engine or at least before I install the rest of the exhaust system (so I didn't go EXACTLY by the book). Then just before I'm about to put the bumper on I decide to fire up the engine. I have everything hooked up the way it was before I took it apart, I put the oil in, and I connect the battery. I jump in the fron seat and put in the key, turn it and crank, crank, vroom. Sounds real rough fo a second then smooths out and purrs. I'm real pleased, that's the first car I ever worked on that started on the first try after re-assembly. I'm impressed at how simple this engine is and I really like working on it. I'll have to do it again as I need a new clutch eventualy (No money this time) However I have found the perfect engine intall and removal tool. It's a handtruck that they sell for about 17 bucks and it can be layed down and used as a dolly. It is open in the middle when layed down and a small hydraulic floor jack fits inside perfectly. Balance the engine on the jack with a piece of 1x6x18 wood and it works like a charm. If you read this far you probably weren't bored too much. Thanks for listening.

Scott

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- A nation that trades liberty for security deserves neither!. Ben Franklin

sbeckst@dpc.com <Scott Beckstead>